New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Running an AI Hydra 26 on a new-to-me Solana 34

Started by Aine, April 21, 2015, 12:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aine

Hi guys!
After a 7-year run with my BC 29 (I had yet unsolved algae issues that killed off my corals even with perfect params, etc. that started last summer), I got a used Solana 34. I've switched tanks over the weekend, and after getting bitten, stung, burned and shocked (never touch a halogen lamp with saltwater-covered fingers, however accidentally), I'm done. Yay!

I'm getting an AI Hydra 26 in a day or two. I was wondering if anyone else was running one, and if so, what are your settings? I will run it on acclimation mode at first, but what should I be aiming for, not to fry my corals?

I was thinking I'd be hanging it at 8 inches over the water. I have softies, LPS and SPS. Right now, I have two clowns and a cherub angel, a variety of shrimp, etc.

Also, not that it's that important in here (you never know), I'll be running the tank with a Tunze 9001 skimmer and LR rubble in chamber 1, chemipure+purigen+floss in chamber 2 for now. I've added a powerhead for a bit more flow, and am keeping the stock pump for now. I've kept my LR and half the water from my old tank. Water params getting better after the initial shock.

Any input is welcomed, both on the light fixture or anything else!  8)
Solana 34, but new custom build (41 gallons and 10 gallon sump) in progress!
Ocellaris, pygmy angel, red pistol shrimp, yellow watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, mini carpet anemone, rbta, sps?s, lps?s, softies

Peach-faced lovebird (Octave)
Goldendoodle (Basile)
Standard Poodle (Margot)

Lover of Iceland, nature, travel and music!

Philnashbass

This won't be much help, as it doesn't address the AI Hydra 26, but I run an AI Vega on my 50 cube and I've had trouble ramping up the levels on mine over the last couple of year, as I find it very powerful.
After approx. 1 year, I increased the above water level height from 6" to approx. 10" above water line. I found that my corals were initially bleaching out under 50% levels. After raising the unit I slowly ramped up to 75% on all my blue levels and only about 20-30% on white!  I find the white channel to be really powerful and corals very sensitive to it. I usually run the red and green at about 10% each.
Good luck.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral