New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Buying a operating tank

Started by Mike62, April 27, 2015, 11:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike62

I am considering the purchase of a tank that is already in operation, however I am wondering about what will happen when I set the tank up in my home. Since I will have drained the tank completely (Im not the Hulk, damn it), will it have to cycle when I set it up new? Are the livestock currently in the tank in danger when this happens? Should I be finding a temporary home for them while waiting for the tank to cycle? Would it help to bring the current water from the tank to the new set up spot? Should I be digging out the sand bed, or finding some way to transport the tank with the sand in?
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Mike L

I have moved a number of established tanks over the years and never had an issue. As long as there is minimal delay in setting it up. Keep your substrate and filter media wet. If it a canister filter leave it intact. Will the move happen in one day start to finish.
Mike

Stussi613

Saltwater tanks are pretty easy to move, provided you do your best to not disturb the sand bed.  The best way to do it, in my experience, is to get your hands on some 5G buckets with lids and a few Rubbermaid bins (will depend on how much liverock you have).  Start draining the water into the buckets and catch the fish and clean crew and put them in the pails.  Any corals can be put in these buckets too.  Be careful what fish you put in the buckets, if you put some fish into tight quarters with other fish they will fight...so try to spread out as much as you can and know which fish will be jerks.  Grab the live rock and put it in the Rubbermaid bins, you don't need a lot of water in these, as long as you have a lid for them and you aren't going to be a full day you can transport them without covering them with water.  If you are worried you can put some damp newspaper over them and they should be fine.

From there you just move everything to the new location and set it up in reverse order.  Put your liverock where you want it, then put some newspaper in the bottom of the tank and start adding your water.  Having a Maxijet type pump with a hose on it is preferable to pouring the water right into the tank.  If you're really worried about kicking off a small cycle you can get some fresh saltwater going in one of the Rubbermaid bins and keep the fish in it for a few days and check parameters.  As long as you keep the water warm and moving you can keep the fish in the bins with no negative effects, you'll just need to keep an eye on parameters in there and do water changes as needed.

If you need help with all this, including getting your hands on the buckets and bins etc to move it, you might want to reach out to the local stores.  I know that David at Got Fish? has a bunch of bins and buckets he might be able to lend/rent you because he helped a friend of mine move a tank and he set up tanks at Aquamania and the Pet Expo in the past.
I haz reef tanks.

Mike62

I plan to move it all in one day. Its a 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump (20 pounds of live rock, so my first purchase will be to up that total) and a standard sand bed...how many gallons of water should I be expecting, and should I attempt to get it all?
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Stussi613

I'd try to keep 50% of it, and then make up about 50% new water and have it waiting.
I haz reef tanks.