New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MAY 25: CLUB ELECTIONS!

Started by ajm1961, April 28, 2015, 07:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxpert

Based on this thread here is what we have:

PRESIDENT - OPEN
VICE-PRESIDENT - ??
SECRETARY - Limmer
TREASURER - ??
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR – Limed(Ed/OPEN)
PROGRAM CHAIR -??
ONLINE PRESENCE CHAIR  - ??
SPONSORSHIP CHAIR – OPEN

Sorry to say I'm not sure what position robt18 held so I have not marked it above. Could someone please updated the above list with more information? (copy/paste please)

charlie

Quote from: Dxpert on May 15, 2015, 12:04:02 PM
Based on this thread here is what we have:

PRESIDENT - OPEN
VICE-PRESIDENT - ??
SECRETARY - Limmer
TREASURER - ??
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR – Limed(Ed/OPEN)
PROGRAM CHAIR -??
ONLINE PRESENCE CHAIR  - ??
SPONSORSHIP CHAIR – OPEN

Sorry to say I'm not sure what position robt18 held so I have not marked it above. Could someone please updated the above list with more information? (copy/paste please)
Thanks Mike, that`s the difference that might help.
I think Rob is  the program chair.

robt18

That's right. Robert was the treasurer, and with the baby on the way, I would assume he won't be returning this year.

ajm1961

At this time, here is the situation - remember that more than one person can nominate themselves for any position, hence why we have elections. Also people may decide to voice their intention AT THE MEETING ITSELF. See below for elections guidelines.

PRESIDENT - OPEN - Andre not returning
VICE-PRESIDENT - OPEN - Jonathan will confirm once it is known who will take the President's role
SECRETARY - OPEN - Peter will take on if no one else wants to take position
TREASURER - OPEN - Robert not likely returning due to other family/professional commitments
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR – Ed will take on if no one else wants to take position
PROGRAM CHAIR - OPEN - Rob not returning
ONLINE PRESENCE CHAIR - OPEN - Stephanie will not be taking on this role next year
SPONSORSHIP CHAIR – OPEN - Sylvie not returning
WEBMASTER - Michel to confirm - this is an appointed position, not voted for.

GUIDELINES:
Elections for the OVAS Executive take place at the May meeting.  Any OVAS member in good standing may run for a position.  

For the past couple of years we have been taking nominations on the forum up until the day before the elections and then taking nominations at the meeting.

All positions (except Webmaster and Past-President) can be contested during the meeting.  Voting for positions used to be done by a show of hands, however the past 4 years or we've had ballots that have been counted during the meeting.

The Webmaster position is not an elected position as there is a certain skill level needed for the position.  The usual process of replacing the Webmaster has been to advertise for the position and the current webmaster suggests a replacement who is then approved by the Exec.

The Past-President, as the name implies, is the President from the previous year.  If the current President is serving for a 2nd term or longer term, the Past-President position is vacant.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on May 15, 2015, 12:57:09 PM
At this time, here is the situation - remember that more than one person can nominate themselves for any position, hence why we have elections. Also people may decide to voice their intention AT THE MEETING ITSELF. See below for elections guidelines.

PRESIDENT - OPEN - Andre not returning
VICE-PRESIDENT - OPEN - Jonathan will confirm once it is known who will take the President's role
SECRETARY - OPEN - Peter will take on if no one else wants to take position
TREASURER - OPEN - Robert not likely returning due to other family/professional commitments
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR – Ed will take on if no one else wants to take position
PROGRAM CHAIR - OPEN - Rob not returning
ONLINE PRESENCE CHAIR - OPEN - Stephanie will not be taking on this role next year
SPONSORSHIP CHAIR – OPEN - Sylvie not returning
WEBMASTER - Michel to confirm - this is an appointed position, not voted for.

Auction Chair - would assume same as Treasurer?

robt18

If I remember correctly, Robert is willing to do the same job at the auction next year since we only have the annual giant auction now (no more mini-auctions at meetings).

Stussi613

And yes, Robert was acting as the Treasurer and the Auction Chair this year.

Considering that only two people have indicated a willingness to come back if no one else steps up, and one person who is willing to do it depending on who the president is (??) I think that it might be worse than it looked a few days ago.

Kinda sad that we pulled off an amazing event last year (and the year before) and now we can't even fill 3 of the 9 positions with any kind of commitment 10 days from the elections :(
I haz reef tanks.

Brine

It sure would be a shame if the club folded after 60 years but I don't think it will. It may change a lot but this isn't the first time it looked as if no one was going to step up. I remember a few times I thought is was going to shut down but it hasn't so far.

fischkopp

I will continue as auction chair for the next season - provided we can pull it together as club. I can also hold on to the treasurer duties if that is required. The reality is that I will not have the time to be involved in too many club activities.

But looking at the overwhelming response here it seems like there isn't a lot of enthusiasm to keep the club going.

Here is my thought: without anyone taking a leading role, the club format will have to change dramatically. It's actually a chance to shape the club into something new. So if you are one of the folks that like to come out to talk fish, this is your opportunity to establish a format that you would like.

I would favour meetings that are organized by club members. Very much like Errol has showed us how with the Plantaholic meetings. It could be at somebodies house, or in a bar or such. Different topics of course. Or none if you just want a reason to get away from home to meet your fishy friends. :) We could certainly rent a room for a speaker session too. But we would need input and help from the club to organize things.

These are just my thoughts. Either way, something has to change, that seems obvious.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Mike L

I would favour meetings that are organized by club members. Very much like Errol has showed us how with the Plantaholic meetings. It could be at somebodies house, or in a bar or such. Different topics of course. Or none if you just want a reason to get away from home to meet your fishy friends. We could certainly rent a room for a speaker session too. But we would need input and help from the club to organize things.

These are just my thoughts. Either way, something has to change, that seems obvious.

I have to agree with this statement. While I have met many well informed people through this forum the thrust of what I enjoy of the hobby is hardly touched upon here. You all know I like cichlids but most of the discussions on this site  are not about cichlids. I have started putting cichlid friendly plants in my tanks because of what I have read here but still I'm lucky if I see a cichlid discussion once a month. As a result I go elsewhere for these discussions.

Having said that maybe it's time that the club is an online entity only with sections dedicated to the various disciplines in the hobby moderated by like minded people.

In fact there are not many clubs or online fish websites that I have found that try to be all things but instead specialize.
Mike

charlie

Quote from: Mike L on May 23, 2015, 08:27:09 PM
I would favour meetings that are organized by club members. Very much like Errol has showed us how with the Plantaholic meetings. It could be at somebodies house, or in a bar or such. Different topics of course. Or none if you just want a reason to get away from home to meet your fishy friends. We could certainly rent a room for a speaker session too. But we would need input and help from the club to organize things.

I have to agree with this statement. While I have met many well informed people through this forum the thrust of what I enjoy of the hobby is hardly touched upon here. You all know I like cichlids but most of the discussions on this site  are not about cichlids. I have started putting cichlid friendly plants in my tanks because of what I have read here but still I'm lucky if I see a cichlid discussion once a month. As a result I go elsewhere for these discussions.

Having said that maybe it's time that the club is an online entity only with sections dedicated to the various disciplines in the hobby moderated by like minded people.

In fact there are not many clubs or online fish websites that I have found that try to be all things but instead specialize.
Mike
Mike thanks for you willingness to share your thoughts, it is the life line the club needs at this time.
I should point out a few things regarding your input,
OVAS is a club first & foremost, in fact the club was hatched before the online presence.
The club & it`s online publication  as with any club is shaped by  it`s members.The tools are made available for the members to make it what it is.
Regarding the cichlid discussions, i know of several cichlid hobbyist among us, but only a very small # is enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge, enjoyment etc. with the members at large and the like minded hobbyist, this is also the same faith of other niches of this hobby.
They are several clubs that are successful multifaceted niches of this hobby, some without the access of an interactive media like OVAS
http://caoac.ca/clubs.html
OVAS is a member club under the umbrella of CAOAC.
My opinion is that our club is riddled with apathy & this does not help with any new members it might attract, this is not a recent development, it is something that has infected this once vibrant club for sometime now.
I have a theory of why this is so, every year not much folks are prepared to offer anytime in helping the club function & grow, as a result the few that do so are doing it out of sympathy & love for our hobby & club, in many instances the few that do, really don`t want to & as such their commitment is very limited, as such it ends with 1or 2 doing the bulk of the work , this results in a not much getting done.
We all have life required commitments, but the reality is to have a successful club we need a vibrant group of hobbyist dedicated to execute tasks collectively , this makes the time & effort much easier for all.
The bottom line is there is always a lot of input of what needs to be done & how to do it, but no one to execute it.

On a personal side i have been volunteering  since before 2006 in an effort to making this club what it should be & has simply burnt out for the above reasons.
I have said before & will say it again, maybe it`s time the club fold & let nature takes it`s course, i know of one club in Canada that was in a similar situation as OVAS, that took that road, regrouped & is now doing better.
Just keeping it real.
Errol

exv152

To add to what Mike and Errol said, any hobby at its roots has passion, and it's from that passion that comes the commitment of its members to get things done. OVAS lacks an identity, you can't be about saltwater, freshwater, planted, cichlids etc and still keep everyone happy and expect folks to commit. The format has to change, but to change it needs to figure out what its identity is first and foremost.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 24, 2015, 03:08:59 PM
To add to what Mike and Errol said, any hobby at its roots has passion, and it's from that passion that comes the commitment of its members to get things done. OVAS lacks an identity, you can't be about saltwater, freshwater, planted, cichlids etc and still keep everyone happy and expect folks to commit. The format has to change, but to change it needs to figure out what its identity is first and foremost.
Some good pointers, but in my opinion the ID is there,
To me This is the club`s ID, it`s all about how much we embrace it
QuoteOVAS Constitution

Article 1 – Name

1. The organization shall be known as the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society, hereinafter known as OVAS.

2. OVAS is a non-profit organization with the following objectives:

a) to establish a local network of hobbyists allowing for the positive and amicable exchange of experiences, ideas, information and resources;
    b) to promote local area interest in the hobby;
    c) to provide resources and opportunities for both novice and experienced hobbyists to further their
    understanding and to encourage their study of aquatic life; and,
    d) to raise awareness on the conservation of endangered species and preservation of aquatic
    environments.

Graham

I have only been a member for 2 years with OVAS but here is my opinion on the decline in member and position participation.
I think that the club throughout the years has been very successful but unfortunately, as technology and methods of contact increased, the club involvement declined. I've looked through past years and the involvement online was substantially higher than when I was a member. As unfortunate as this is, I think this is a sign that something should change. I think that through the creation of a facebook group we could meet all the needs that the forum currently offers. I am a member of a couple facebook groups that are great and through proper management I think an Ovas one could be as well. Through this facebook group, specific events could be organized, as well as photo comps, polls, and posting classifieds. So in my opinion, Yes I think the club should fold, and instead start with a facebook group that is low maintenance and still provides us aquatic junkies with a place to meet and talk about our passion.

exv152

Quote from: charlie on May 24, 2015, 03:42:55 PM
Some good pointers, but in my opinion the ID is there,
To me This is the club`s ID, it`s all about how much we embrace it

OVAS Constitution
    2. OVAS is a non-profit organization with the following objectives:
    a) to establish a local network of hobbyists allowing for the positive and amicable exchange of experiences, ideas, information and resources;
    b) to promote local area interest in the hobby;
    c) to provide resources and opportunities for both novice and experienced hobbyists to further their understanding and to encourage their study of aquatic life; and,
    d) to raise awareness on the conservation of endangered species and preservation of aquatic environments.

Yes but the club is competing with the internet when it comes to sharing knowledge/information. People today are less likely to set time aside to attend a meeting if they can learn it online, sometimes within seconds/minutes. I'm not saying it's right, it's just what it's becoming. So, in order to get people out from behind their computer screens it's going to take something that speaks to their passion directly.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Mike L

Given the lack of feedback on this post and others there appears to be a limited number of people that are involved with this club. I myself stood on the outside looking in and only became a member because I felt what the club offered was worthwhile.
There appears to be a clear passion from many that this club continue and I agree.

However I suggest that the meeting tomorrow with regards to positions be delayed in a effort to figure the direction of the club. All positions can be vacated and through online members only we can come to a consensus of what this club is and move forward. Until we understand what OVAS is and all embrace ,it will not be viable.

I understand that I am a newbie and my input is marginal given the sweat many have put into the club but this is clearly not working in it's present format.

ajm1961

The current executive is in place until September 30. Typically the newly elect executive would transition over during this period.

In my opinion - and I may have to seek external help on this to ensure we respect non-profit laws:

If there is an insufficient number of people to fill at least 3 of the four executive positions (the rest are "chairs") namely the President, Treasurer and Secretary, the club will be forced to fold.

If we have at least the minimum number of people, the club could perhaps continue in a different manner as being suggested in this thread. But we need at least these 3 people to oversee the website, its financing, and a minimum number of activities (annual auction for example). The make-up of the club membership may have to change as well if we have no one to take on the membership chair.

Depending on the outcome tonight, the current executive will have until September 30th to take the steps necessary to either cease the club's activities or help the newly elected executive transition the club as needed.

So the election will go on as planned, and let the chips fall where they may.

bitterman

Andre,  I want to personally thank you for all your efforts over the past (4 years?) to keep the club rolling in a positive direction and all the extra rolls you held!

Thanks to all the new exec, returning exec and those that have helped the club in the past.

Bruce

ajm1961

We have a new executive for the upcoming season:

President: Rob Thompson
Vice-President: Sid Arnold
Treasurer: Robert Kemp (to be confirmed)
Secretary: Peter Lim
Sponsorship: Jonathan Herstead
Membership: Ed Lim

Thank you for volunteering and keeping this club up and running for a 62nd year!
Congratulations!

Still open at this time:
Program Chair
Online Presence
If interested in helping out, please PM me or Rob (Robt18) - it would be greatly appreciated.

Great meeting tonight: great food from Sylvie (SlyAngel) and a great talk from Jessica!
Thanks to all who made it out.

Jody

Hi all,
  First of all, congrats to all the new execs coming in, and thanks to all the exec going out.

As someone who has been part of the club for close to 20 years now, either as a member, executive or just an outside supporter of the club, I have seen the club go through quite a number of changes.  Working in the hobby for 16 years now, I have known many members over the years.
      The membership, when I joined was fairly small, and some of the meetings would have been just sneaking into double digit attendance. Over a few years, we were able to increase the number of member, and then had a bit more of an online presence, but still just getting into it. I remember having some pretty packed rooms at Jack Purcell, overflowing auction tables, and standing room only for some meetings and the giant auction.
      Of course, as our online presence grew, so did contact amongst members, and inevitable personality clashes. These did spill over into the membership and executive as well.  This did chase off some long term members, as well as new ones. With the growth of the online presence, there was less reason for people to come out to the club, and attendance dropped.
      I think we can all agree, there were a couple years of real disquiet within the club, and since then membership has been dropping, and has brewed some apathy within the membership. I know a few former members, who while very involved at one point, do not go because of this. Some of these are real active hobbyists, who promote the club, and bring in new members.
       I have seen, most years, people willing to help out and be part of the executive, even if they did not step forward and volunteer prior to the meeting, and it sounds like this year is no different.
       To me, some of our most successful, club building meetings, were ones just sitting around chatting about fish. No speaker, no events, just talking about the hobby. Plus, most people seemed to enjoy the mini auctions every meeting too. A couple of good speakers, a couple local speakers, but lots of good conversation, to me, is most important. Bring out people's passion for the hobby, and you will bring out the people.
      Unfortunately, living where I do now, with no vehicle, I don't make it to many meetings, but always try to take a few minutes with the club members, when I see them at the store.

Jody