New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angel fish and algae eaters problems

Started by H2O, May 06, 2015, 10:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H2O

I have a 90 gallon planted tank. Lately I've been noticing my plants being uprooted and something is killing my guppies. I have 4 beautiful angel fish that have started to get aggressive with each other and two algae eaters. In the last three days I've lost three guppies and a plattie. Are the Angel fish turning on my other fish? Is it the algae eaters eating my plants? I'm not sure because I also have a lot of small trumpet snails, an apple snail and Congo Apple snail.

If it is my angel fish and algae eaters I'd like to sell them so I can get more planted tank friendly fish.

dpatte

Angelfish seldom eat plants. Algae eaters might, depending what kind they are, and whether they are hungry. I would suspect your snails more than anything.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

Mike L

Can't comment on which is eating the plants but if those are your angels in the pic I would be thinking long and hard about selling them. They are gorgeous.
Mike

exv152

You more than likely have a pair of adult angels that want to spawn, and they get really aggressive at this stage. I doubt they'd go as far as killing other fish, they usually only tend to get aggressive with their own kind. What kind of algae eaters do you have, and what are the other fish in your tank?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g