New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

American Cichlid Association Convention

Started by Jody, May 24, 2015, 11:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya Everybody!

I was just looking, and there is a great line up of speakers for the ACA convention this year.
Wayne Leibel, Ad Konings, Rusty Wessel, Oliver Lucanus, Dr Paul Loiselle, Charlie Grimes, Dr. Claudia Westfahl, Japp-Jan de Greef, Al Sabetta.

It is in Springfield Mass. this year, so just down the road for us. Google maps says less than 7 hours.
It runs from July 30th - Aug 2nd, though the Boston Aquarium tour starts early on the 30th, so ideally, leaving on the afternoon of 29th would work best.

Looking at the costs, it would be about $157 US for the full weekend convention, plus goodie bag, the tour of the Aquarium and Boston Market, Awards banquet dinner and a t-shirt. Obviously, if you want to opt out on anything, then the costs drop.

The rooms at the hotel are going for $115 a night, convention rate, and would be for 4 nights.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I am happy to ride share, room share and generally cost share.

Jody

Jody

Al

Jody,
I have been strongly  considering this years ACA convention for a while and will decide in the next week or two. I have been doing the Ohio show for years and thought with ACA so close it would be a nice change - and you're right, great line up of speakers. And Boston is a terrific city - was there a couple of years ago and was very impressed with how the city has changed. As a matter of fact, the company I was contracting for rented out the Boston Aquarium for a night and had 100 clients attend for a tour, dinner on-site and entertainment. It was pretty cool.

Jody

Just a couple of weeks left to get the early registration!

This is an amazing opportunity for all the cichlid lovers of the area.
I was reading last night, that it has been about 8 years since the last time it was within a reasonable driving distance to us, and will probably be about the same before it comes back around here again.
:)

Al, just let me know when you know for sure, so I can book my time off and get my tickets.

Jody

ajm1961

Would love to go but it falls onto our family vacation at the cottage. Too bad they don't do this in the fall or spring rather than summer... but that's just me.
Thanks for bringing this up, hopefully some local cichlid enthusiasts will join in and you can let us know how it went!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Jody

Thanks Andre!
I will be sure to take lots of pictures to show off, if I make it down :)

It is a great chance to bring some new and different fish into our club/city.

Thanks
Jody

zenins

Quote from: Jody on June 17, 2015, 06:23:40 PM

I will be sure to take lots of pictures to show off, if I make it down :)

Yes, photos would be good :)

Unfortunately, I am booked for something else that weekend :(
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

Jody

Looks like there will be one spot in the car going down if anyone is interested.
:)
Leaving early Thursday morning, and coming back Sunday afternoon.

I am also looking to room share to cut down the costs!

Jody