New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2015/16 Season

Started by robt18, May 26, 2015, 09:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robt18

Hello OVASers,

First of all, thank you for accepting me as president for the upcoming season. I've already spoken to many members who are very enthusiastic and have some great ideas for what we could do next year. I look forward to working with the incoming exec, our volunteers and our membership to make next season a great one.

There have been many questions about what the plans are for next season. I won't go into a lot of detail, but here are some possibilities that have come up through conversations and some of my own ideas.

• change in venue
  • change in meeting day
  • modification to classified ad system (again)
  • change in format of (some) meetings to a more "social" setting
  • Reintroducing the Aquamania convention to accompany our Giant Auction
  • increased web presence to promote club
  • additional club activities above and beyond regular meetings

You'll also note that there is no program director this year (yet). Should this position remain vacant, the rest of the exec committee and I will try our best to put forward a program that keeps everyone happy. This being said, I will be starting a thread in the members section asking what you would like to see in terms of a program next year. You can request specific people, general topics, ideas for themes, etc. Let us know what you would like, and we'll make an effort to accommodate as many people and ideas as possible. In general, I see the program unfolding like this next year:

OVAS Garage sale (early Sept)
November "Christmas meeting" - dinner and mini auction
April - Aquamania
May - Elections
June - BBQ

With this schedule, Sept, Oct, Jan, Feb, Mar meetings are left open for speakers, workshops, social events, etc. I already have three speakers in mind for the season, so we may be covered there. All in all, I hope to make this an exciting year and hope to see everyone out.

Stussi613

Rob,

I'd like to officially volunteer to help plan and execute Aquamania for 2016.  As you know I helped get it off the ground and really enjoyed that aspect of volunteering with the club.

I'm hoping I can convince Errol and Andre to come on board with me as I think the three of us could pull off all of the things that need to be done and we would be starting in September when the new season starts to get ahead of all the work that is required.
I haz reef tanks.

robt18

Thanks Stuart. I'll be looking to set up a committee early in the season to plan the convention. Some details can ever be brainstormed before the season begins, including potential layout, contacts, program, etc. I appreciate your support.

ajm1961

Echoing some of your thoughts:

Would love to see a different meeting day - I've always hated Monday nights personally. The club used to meet on Thursday nights back in the 70s. I think that would work better. But also fine with Stu's idea of alternating dates - some on Tuesdays, others on Thursdays for example.

Changing the venue to somewhere where food and drink is already available. It's a lot of extra work for someone to be hauling drinks and food for each meeting. Maybe Carleton pub on the pool table side.

Look into storage space if no one can store all the OVAS stuff in their garage...
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Jody

Hiya Rob,
I would recommend keeping the day of the meeting the same every month. Switch it to Tues or Wed or whatever, but keep it the same every month. Alternating days are harder to track and plan for.

robt18

Thanks for the input everyone. We will have to find somewhere to store the equipment if no one can keep it, or split up certain items to make things work.

We will definitely look to keep meeting days consistent - same day and week each month, that way no one goes on the wrong day, week, etc, much easier all around.

George2

Quote from: ajm1961 on May 26, 2015, 09:32:30 PM
Changing the venue to somewhere where food and drink is already available. It's a lot of extra work for someone to be hauling drinks and food for each meeting. Maybe Carleton pub on the pool table side.

I actually think the current location is good because it is fairly central, has plenty of parking, and is very close to a major stop on the OC Transpo transitway.

MixmUp

Hi everyone, I have been lurking around reading a lot on this forum for a number on months now.  I think this is my first post.

I was directed to this website/club via Google, because I stumbled on a post that touched on a species of fish I'm struggling with.  It didn't end up helping but I've been reading a lot.  When I asked around about the club, I'll be honest, I heard a lot of negative opinions.  I like to network with like minded people so I got to hear a lot of stuff.

The main thing I was warned about is to NEVER post on this forum!  I was told that the club as a reputation for being too political, over-monitoring and unproductive arguing, and that the club claims to be friendly and welcoming but the vocal members are actually not.  I also heard that anyone who is new to the hobby will pose questions and feel like they're in the middle of an argument between two opposing "experts" who's opinions differ. 

Another category of opinions I heard surrounded volunteering for the club.  I was told that there were more than a few executive people who felt bullied out of the club because they either didn't agree with something or their lives changed and they no longer had as much time to dedicate to whatever club stuff they were working on. 

So I'm creating this post because I have been reading a lot on this forum.  I see that there are a select few who seem to be dedicated to keeping the club alive and perhaps are completely unaware of the reputation that this club has within the community.  How did that reputation start?  I have no idea.  I've only been lurking around for a few months. 

I think the meeting day/place is likely not the club's issue.  If that is what the community is saying about the club, then wouldn't that affect membership and the willingness to volunteer?

There was an idea thrown out about creating a Facebook group for the club.  I think that's a fantastic idea.  I personally hate forums because too many people do awful things behind the cloak of an alias.  At least on Facebook, most people use some version of their real name so friends can find each other.  When there's a get together, there's none of that awkward re-introduction with aliases. 

bitterman

The club already has a facebook page/group your welcome to join:

https://www.facebook.com/OttawaValleyAquariumSociety

exv152

I often find hearsay to be a poor substitute for your own personal judgement that can only come form experiencing something yourself.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Stussi613

I wish the people putting negative energy into talking about the exec and the club would turn some of that around and actually try to do something positive for the hobby in Ottawa.

Edit:  I'm not talking about you MixmUp, just pointing out that you seemed to find out some pretty negative information about the club when you asked around and I think it's pretty sad that you would get that impression from people who seem to know a lot about what happens behind closed doors in the club.
I haz reef tanks.

Mike L

Mixmup
   Welcome to the forum. As a member of the club I want to thank you for speaking up and saying what you heard. There might be something to it that needs to be addressed.  It takes courage to come on and as a first post  say what you did.

What species of fish are you having trouble with and what do you keep. Pose your problem here and see for yourself what the club is like. At least then you will know first hand.

As for the bad rap on the forum. One of the things I like about the club is that you don't read arguments. At least none that I can remember. I'm never afraid to ask a question because you always get informed and varied information. Besides brainstorming is what it's all about  I've been keeping and breeding cichlids for 30+ years and since joining I have learned a ton mostly about other disciplines of the hobby. It has pushed me to use live plants in my tanks now.  I was never able to keep plants alive but learned here what I was doing wrong. Maybe one day I'll do a salt tank. I've come close since being a member.

It would be interesting to find out how people who use the site came here. I myself googled a question and came across Ovas like you. Lurked for a time, registered for a year, and then became a member because I felt it was a worthwhile club to keep alive.

On another note. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the positions have been filled for the year. It looked bleak leading up to the elections. I have a feeling this might be a watershed year for the club.

Congratulations to all the new executive and thank you to the outgoing board. I know from speaking to some that it has been a trying couple of years.
Mike

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 27, 2015, 03:55:02 PM
I often find hearsay to be a poor substitute for your own personal judgement that can only come form experiencing something yourself.
Could not agree more

MixmUp

If I blindly listened to the hearsay, I would not be lurking or posting, now would I? I am still undecided on this group.  I'll see if my experience differs from those who I've talked to.

I think if people were shamed or bullied even by just a few people or if they had an extremely negative experience, they wouldn't WANT to put energy into making the club better.  One guy I talked to happened to be at Big Al's in Kanata when I was asking one of the staff about the club.  He said he left years ago and knows several people who have left since or just went silent on the website.  People who have bad experiences talk, it's a well known fact.  This has never been in a way that outright trashes the group, but in a bit of a "heads up, this was my experience" kind of way or "yeah, I know someone who went to that website and this is what they told me".  Everyone told me that if I ever wanted to get cheep plants or fish, that it was a good place to go.  So it wasn't all bad.

Regardless, I posted because I know all too well how defeated people can feel when they are making a commitment to something and it just isn't working no matter how hard they try.

I was having issues with Licorice Gouramis but I have since solved the issue. Almond Leaf!

ajm1961

Glad you found the solution to your issue.
Feel free to ask our online community other questions about the hobby or post something about who you are and what you keep - and in the appropriate board on this forum.

As to the upcoming season, Rob, Sid and the rest of the exec, thanks for stepping up. I will do my best to support you all as Past President.

Let's keep the positive momentum going.
Cheers.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

s7even

I think any negativity can be overcome by increase in membership...
Fish is/are both a top hobby and a top pet...
We're missing a lot of people it seems...

The executive seems to be comprised of people who will take the responsibility, rather than a fight to see who leads...
After having watched the election anyway...

Oh and one more time GREAT LASAGNA the other night !
(The dwarf Cichlids were good too)

mm

QuoteI was having issues with Licorice Gouramis but I have since solved the issue. Almond Leaf!

Feel free to ask me any question on Licorice Gouramis as I have been keeping them and breeding them succesfully. I have posted several times about them and their care.

You should also check out http://parosphromenus-project.org/en/

Rumble Fish

I started attending the monthly ovas meetings only in the last year or so.  I've been keeping FW tanks for 30 years, love reading on the subject and constantly look up information on the web. However, aside from basically one friend, this was a lonely hobby for me. I too lurked on the forum for awhile (still do!) but was interested in the ovas meetings mainly to talk with other like minded hobbyist and to keep my interest piqued in the hobby in general. So far I have not been disappointed! 
The meetings have been varied, covering both fresh and salt water topics and feature both profession and amateur speakers. All have been interesting regardless of wether it was relevant to me or not. There is no real pressure (except to provide pictures of your tank online :-) and the meetings are relaxed. The informal, post meeting at the Carleton Tavern have been enjoyable as well, allowing for more relaxed conversation ranging from the topic of the night and personal experiences within the hobby to world news and sports :-)  All in all though I have enjoyed meeting people and acquiring a sense of fellowship within the group.
I've also posted questions on the forum and received positive, useful feedback. I'm always interested in reading the posts and get a sense of what is happening in the hobby.  One thing I've learned though; there is a multitude of ways to achieve the same goal in this hobby and no 'one' way of doing things. 'Success is success' one person reminded me one night at the before mentioned CT.
I'm looking forward to the next year and hope to continue to attend meetings regularly. FYI my vote is to keep Monday meetings as they tend to be a slow night in general. Regardless I'll do my best to be there!

using Tapatalk
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish