New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Fluval Edge 12 Gal

Started by TLe041, June 05, 2015, 06:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLe041

Hi everyone,

After a two years hiatus from fishkeeping, I decided to start getting back into it again. My previous tank was an ADA Mini-M iwagumi:

I picked up a 12 gallon Fluval Edge on impulse while browsing a LFS. The plan was to go low-tech and low-maintenance. Since I'm going with the stock LED light, this will be a low-light tank. However, I'll be using an Eheim 2211 canister filter that I had instead of the included Aquaclear HOB. The 2211 will be connected using some Cal Aqua Lab lily pipes and heated with a Hydor in-line heater.

Substrate:

The hardscape consists of one large Manzanita driftwood and ADA Seiryu stones.

Since this will be low-light, I decided to go with trident java fern as the main plant.

The tank will be fertilized every 2-3 days with Pfertz fertilizers that I had from before along with Flourish Excel.

The tank after planting and water added:

Pipes and filter:

After cycling, the first fishes added (also currently the only fishes) is a school of Corydoras habrosus. They're grazing on a sinking pellet.

This is where the tank is at right now. The scape should look better when the java fern greens up and fills in more. I plan to add a few more stones to the front area and some more Mini Christmas moss.

The next livestock to go in will be a shoal of CPDs (my favorite fishes to keep) and a bunch of crystal shrimps.

I'll continue to update this thread with the progress.

Thanks for reading. All comments are appreciated!
Tony

exv152

Nice looking tank. I doubt you'll need to add ferts every 2-3 days with such a low plant bio-mass, once every two weeks or so should do.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Wow. Nice looking substrate. I use the ADA Africana but I've never seen anyone the Malaysia? Why'd you buy it? And what do you think of it so far? What pH do you get?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Nice start Tony, should be an interesting scape as it matures.
Are you running the 2211 full tilt?

TLe041

Thanks all!

Quote from: exv152 on June 05, 2015, 07:12:01 PM
Nice looking tank. I doubt you'll need to add ferts every 2-3 days with such a low plant bio-mass, once every two weeks or so should do.
From the readings I've done, java fern is actually a pretty high-nutrient plant. Also, Pfertz is pretty watered-down and nowhere near the concentration of dry ferts. Eventually, I'll probably cut it down to twice a week.

Quote from: wolfiewill on June 05, 2015, 07:29:30 PM
Wow. Nice looking substrate. I use the ADA Africana but I've never seen anyone the Malaysia? Why'd you buy it? And what do you think of it so far? What pH do you get?
I wanted a lighter coloured substrate. Since I've done well with Amazonia in the past, I thought I'd give this one a try. It has the most acidic buffering capacity of the three Aquasoils. My tank pH is 6.2.

Quote from: charlie on June 05, 2015, 07:54:12 PM
Nice start Tony, should be an interesting scape as it matures.
Are you running the 2211 full tilt?
Yep, the filter is at full power. The flow perfect for tanks 10-15 gallons. I completely submerge the lily output pipe under the water surface so some of the current is reduced a bit.
Tony

Dxpert

Great looking tank! I love he idea of using the external filter. I might try that on my 6g fluval edge. Did you have to modify the plastic at the base of the tank?

TLe041

I've added Purigen to the filter to help clear up the yellow water caused by the Malaya substrate. The tank is pretty much crystal clear now.

Tony

TLe041

Quote from: Dxpert on June 06, 2015, 11:56:52 PM
Great looking tank! I love he idea of using the external filter. I might try that on my 6g fluval edge. Did you have to modify the plastic at the base of the tank?

Thanks!

The input/output tubing is a tight fit in the base, but no mods are needed.
Tony

TLe041

Added a couple of new inhabitants to the cleanup crew...

Oto #1

Oto #2

Amano shrimp

For some reason the amanos are blue-ish. None of mine in the past have looked like this.
Tony

TLe041

The driftwood is now fuzz-free thanks to the amanos and otos

Amano with food (Mosura Excel)

Tony

charlie

Thanks again for sharing Tony.

TLe041

Added a few black crystals to test the water conditions. It's been two days and they're doing well so far.

Golden bee

Quote from: charlie on June 24, 2015, 11:13:00 AM
Thanks again for sharing Tony.

No prob, Erol. Thanks for reading!
Tony