New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Silver Danios

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, June 27, 2015, 10:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hello Everyone! Long time no post :D

I was just giving my 10 gallon a clean up today, with some filter maintenance. This tank has an exploded population of red ramshorn snails, 4 assassin snails (Who have done a wonderful job curbing the population explosion without they themselves exploding) 3 silver danios and 3 albino bristlenose plecos in it.

Now I realize this is a lot to have in this tank. Originally I had purchased the danios as my cycle fish. I bought them at Pet Smart (Boo Hiss? lol) as they were 0.79 cents each and they're pretty. This was well on 4-5 months ago. After my tank was cycled, I went ahead and got my bristlenoses (From Big Al's) as they are locally bred, 2nd generation albino bristlenose plecos. I wanted to do the standard coloured pleco's, but their population was small and sickly. Since these guys looked so healthy I went with them. They were all quite young when I got them, so they are now showing some sexual dimorphism. I think I've lucked out, as so far only 1 is developing bristles, and the other two have no development in their bristles.

Anyway, the title of this post is "Silver Danios" not "Bristlenose Plecos".

I just wanted to say that I am really impressed with these little fish. When I got the pleco's I moved them to my 33gal. Then my cory's started laying eggs and I thought the Danios were eating them, so I moved them back into the 10 gallon. They've handled both transitions very well, and continue to swim around and make me dizzy watching them. I'm considering moving them back into the 33 gallon as the 10 is supposed to be the breeding tank for the plecos. They are a nice little fish though. Anyone else have danios?

The red ramshorn snail explosion wasn't intentional. Thankfully my assassins are quite good at their job. There's still quite a number in there, but they have managed to curb it quite well. So if anyone is having a snail problem I do recommend assassins. I only have 4 in there and they have managed to kill off quite a few snails.

Thanks! :D