New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

nano planted aquarium

Started by charlie, July 01, 2015, 10:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Folks after dabbling in Nano low tech/ very low maintenance tank & with inspiration from tlc041 , i can say it can be done with great satisfaction.
Here is a TFH article that is a good read.
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/aquatic-gardening-nano-style-full-article.htm

George2

Thanks for posting this article. Nano tanks is an area I'm most interested in. I love how they look and don't take up too much space. It's always a challenge to come up with a nice looking aquascape in such a limited space. They're easier to do water changes as well. I don't have to haul up big buckets of water! :)  (Last winter I had alot of sore back problems because of this. LOL.)

George

exv152

Low tech planted nano is a great way to get started in planted tanks. It's also a great way to start with shrimp. I had the pleasure of meeting Karen Randall in person this past spring, and speaking with her. Anything she has to say is worth its weight in gold. Can't say the same for many articles out there on the net.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

You are welcome George, I think the nano tank should draw much discussion locally as exv152 pointed out it`s a great way to get into planted aquariums & can also be enjoyable by the more established hobbyist.
I have found a renewed fondness for them, since I had to scale back the amount of heavy  maintenance   aquariums I can keep.
@ exv152, Karen is a great person to talk to, we had the pleasure to be graced with her presence a few years ago.

exv152

Quote from: charlie on July 02, 2015, 12:11:44 PM@ exv152, Karen is a great person to talk to, we had the pleasure to be graced with her presence a few years ago.

I don't want to hijack this thread too much from its intended direction, but she was very humble and easy going. She was also astonished at the high quality of our city water here in Ottawa. We also discussed Takashi Amano since she's judged many competitions with him...very interesting inside perspective to our hobby.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

I think i've always like nano tanks and will always do. Can't see myself with anything bigger then a 40Gal Breeder. Small is manageable, as easy or as challenging as you want, easy to make a dramatic update with small changes. The world of nano fishes and critters is also amazing and they won't get lost in a corresponding nano tanks! Pro-nano!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

As pointed out in the article, there is no set standard as to what defines a Nano tank on the planted tank side, the marine side of the hobby accepts tanks as large as 30 gallons as a nano reef.
I would be interested in hearing what is our take as to what size of tank is considered a nano planted tank.
I tend to think 10-12 gallons as the biggest

TLe041

Great thread, Errol!

I've always enjoyed keeping planted nano tanks. The appeal for me is having multiple tanks throughout the house where they could be enjoyed (next to the sofa in the family room, on my desk, beside the breakfast nook, etc). The goal is to replicate a large aquascape on a miniature scale. I'm also keen on nano-fishes and shrimps.

Maintenance-wise, it takes no time at all. I only have to change about 2 gallons of water weekly and clean the filter monthly for each tank. All my tanks have good clean-up crews that cover everything (amano shrimps, nerite snails, dwarf cories), so the interior is pretty much pristine. I don't even have to clean the glass.

Currently, I'm down to two tanks - a 12 gallon Fluval Edge and a 5.5 gallon ADA Mini-M. I'm planning a simple saltwater setup with a 5 gallon Fluval Spec next. That'll be my first venture into the salt side.
Tony

bergenm

I tend to think of nanos as anything under 10 gallons.
Michael

charlie

Here is a low tech nano, this is as low tech as they come  ;)

charlie