New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquatop 8.6 gallon

Started by charlie, July 06, 2015, 11:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

As most of you know i had to get rid of some tanks to minimize some health issues, the addiction in me would not let go, at this point i want to say i am very reluctant to share this tank here due to the lack of interest in any tank builds in general, thanks to people like TLC041 ( Tony) & others posting i decided to do this thread, folks giving feedback is how we learn, ask questions, offer your opinion  & other ideas that the OP did not visualize or thought off, really it`s not about it look`s good- rant over.
I managed to convince the sane people that looks out for my well being that i can do a tank that would require very little maintenance & small water volume , with that in mind i started planning how i was going to execute this.
The idea was to have a tank 10 gallon or less, very low light plants to alleviate trimming, nutrient supplement . The odd small water change with a small dose of Excel.
On a visit to Critter Jungle, Jason informed me he was expecting a new supply of starfire tanks at a reasonable price, the light bulbs started flashing uncontrollably  ;), so i asked him to inform me when they arrive .
While waiting for the call, i started thinking about what i had kicking around that would be appropriate with my goal for this tank.
Used black Flourite - thanks to David at Got Fish who generously give me is used flourite.
White sand -left over from a tank i helped someone with
Bits & Pcs of dragon stone i had accumulated from breaking larger rocks.
Clip on LED light - i had purchased use & had no use for  :P
One of several Aquaclear filters - i always keep around
A old but faithful 50 watt visitherm heater.
Great no $$ needed.
Next was to decide which plants i can steal from my other tank that would be appropriate for this build :
Needle leaf Java fern, fissidens moss, anubias nana & nana petite ( still looking for some more Petite), crypt..
Fish i had - A DT Betta, 5 black neon tetras.
Great again no $$.
More to come

charlie

Then i heard a notification on my phone, on checking it was Jason informing me that tanks have arrived, a few hours later i was at Critter Jungle to check out the quality & price points of the tanks.
http://aquatop.com/high-clarity-glass-aquarium-hca-18.html
The build quality did not suffer in any aspect & the price! reasonable as promised - Critter Jungle for the win.
I decided on the 8.6 gallon which i think was around 40.00, the next size down was 5.00 less
So it begins, here are some pictures of what i came up with, with the addition of 3 nerite snails.
As of Saturday i switched out the Black neons for some endlers (Thanks Jason & Critter Jungle team)
At some point this week , i`ll be switching the Aquaclear for the Zoo med mini canister ( thanks Zoo Med)
I`m also looking for some Hydrocotle Japan.

Hopefully this demonstrates that not all aqua scaped tanks need be high maintenance  & co2 injected, at least this is what i was trying to portray.
Regards

TLe041

The tank quality looks great. I'm really impressed with the construction. For $40, it's a steal.

Very nice work on the scaping. I really like the mixed substrates and asymmetry. Great plant choices too. My only suggestion is to remove the regular Anubias nana, as the leaves are out of proportion with the rest of the plants. I agree that Hydrocotyle would go perfectly in this tank. Both Big Al's had it 2 weeks ago when I was there (Tropica 1-2-Grow packs). You should give them a call.
Tony

exv152

Nice setup Errol. What kind of background are you using? I know you mentioned it the other day in conversation, but I don't recall.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

@ Tony, thanks for the feedback, i agree the nana is out of proportion, it will be replaced with the Hydrocotyle.
@ Eric, appreciate the feedback, the background is Gila  window privacy film  .
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/privacy-window-film-frosted-4-ft-x-65-ft/983256.
Errol

charlie

I changed the filter to the zoo med (need to raise the spray bar) & tried a back light.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAY33_IuQzE

bergenm

Nice setup, almost makes me want to set up an office tank again...
Michael

charlie

Correction , price of tank was 44.99 less OVAS membership discount.
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=59186.0
Errol

Jeff1192

Love the tank. The background is awesome.....really gives it a nice finish.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

wolfiewill

Great set up! I especially like the back lit picture. You've inspired me again. I've got a 25 g tank that I set up as a low tech farm tank that has morphed into a version of what you've done: Easy to look after and inexpensive. It's the easiest planted tank I've ever had and it looks not half bad either. When I get home I'll share photos as well. Thanks for the post. I must also admit to some muteness on the build section of this site, but as I tried to explain the other day at the Big Rig, I do read these posts but get lost at the thought of a reply. I usually don't have an original comment as others have said everything I can think of, and it seems sycophantic to repeat one of the other posts. I also have too many tanks and the thought of spending time posting on line rather than doing something in my tank room is less interesting sometimes. But I really value these posts. Cheers.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on July 10, 2015, 12:56:18 PM
Great set up! I especially like the back lit picture. You've inspired me again. I've got a 25 g tank that I set up as a low tech farm tank that has morphed into a version of what you've done: Easy to look after and inexpensive. It's the easiest planted tank I've ever had and it looks not half bad either. When I get home I'll share photos as well. Thanks for the post. I must also admit to some muteness on the build section of this site, but as I tried to explain the other day at the Big Rig, I do read these posts but get lost at the thought of a reply. I usually don't have an original comment as others have said everything I can think of, and it seems sycophantic to repeat one of the other posts. I also have too many tanks and the thought of spending time posting on line rather than doing something in my tank room is less interesting sometimes. But I really value these posts. Cheers.
Thanks Greg,  I find myself really enjoying this tank

@Jeff,  yeah the back lighting makes a big impact, it adds a new dimension.
Mike I hope it inspires you to do an office tank 😊

charlie

Been quite sometime since i visited this thread!
the tank is still with me and now looks like this.
, still in the vain of easy care/low maintenance.

Regards

exv152

wow, nice job, where the heck is the algae? ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Kalemh

Really beautiful tank I love the look of the chili rasboras? On the green plants

charlie

wading_in

Hey Charlie!

Just checking out the freshwater builds :) 

That looks one happy betta in some classy digs.

I'll be posting an update later today so watch for it!

To place importance on ones self over the lives to which we are charged is to fail completely in our mission.

charlie

Encouraged by recent tank posting   ;)
Fresh scape for 2018

exv152

Neat looking setup Errol. Are you still using drop checkers?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 22, 2018, 10:28:33 AM
Neat looking setup Errol. Are you still using drop checkers?
I use drop checkers to get to a decent reference point, thereafter i dial it in by plant and fish reaction, works for me  ;)