New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The Temperature is a rising!

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, July 13, 2015, 07:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hey folks,

So I went to go feed my fish in my 33 gallon tank, and decided to take a quick peek at the thermometer, and noticed that the temperature is bridging 80! I went and checked my 10 gallon, and it's the same.

I'm pretty sure all my fish can tolerate that temperature, and I'm assuming it's just because it's ungodly hot (it'd be pretty unfortunate if I had two heaters fail simultaneously) however is this something to be concerned about?

Fish in the 33 gallon are:
Corydoras (3 pepper, 2 albino, 1 bronze, 1 stirbae)
Red/Lampeye Tetras (3)
1 mystery snail (Alien)

Fish in the 10 gallon:
3 silver danios
3 albino bushynose plecos

Thanks!

robt18

The cories might not appreciate the heat. 80 isn't too bad, but if you have a fan blowing across the surface of the water it'll bring the temp down.

101DalmatianMollies

Thanks! I had put up the a/c and the temperature came down a smidge for the 33 gal. Now that it's cooled off a bit, the temperature equalized.

Any ideas on how to prevent this in the future? The ambient heat in the house was just so much that all my tanks (inclusive of my betta and the bf's shrimp tank) all went up to 80 degrees. I have a bubbler in the 33 gallon which keeps the water moving, but not sure how to prevent temperature spikes like that.

Thanks!

robt18

Fan blowing across the surface is the only option I know of other than a (very expensive) chiller.