New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My fish are covered in white spots!

Started by George2, July 13, 2015, 10:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George2

Hi,

Today I noticed my fish are covered in little white spots! Is this Ick? If so, what is the best method to treat it? I read that increasing the temperature of my aquarium to 82F will kill it off. However, I have some Crystal Red Shrimp and Red Rili Shrimp. I'm wondering if that high temperature will kill my shrimp. Is that high temperature ok for my Ember Tetras, Strawberry Rasboras and One-Lined Pencil Fish?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
George

sanny

Keep the temperature at 80f and keep the lights off for now to reduce the stress they're going through. It's worked out fine with me.

George2

Quote from: sanny on July 14, 2015, 12:19:37 PM
Keep the temperature at 80f and keep the lights off for now to reduce the stress they're going through. It's worked out fine with me.

Ok. I will give it a try. How long did it take for the ick to go away?

Thanks!
George

new_hobby

Quote from: George2 on July 15, 2015, 10:14:03 AM
Ok. I will give it a try. How long did it take for the ick to go away?

Thanks!
George

There were a lot of discussion about ick in the past. You could search for it in the forum. I just did and found one like this one http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=56099.0

sanny

George2

Quote from: new_hobby on July 15, 2015, 11:33:54 AM
There were a lot of discussion about ick in the past. You could search for it in the forum. I just did and found one like this one http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=56099.0

That previous discussion suggested keeping the water at a very high temperature. I am hoping to avoid that because I figure it will wipe out my shrimp.  I guess I don't have any choice.

George2

It looks like my entire school of Ember Tetras has been wiped out. It's pretty upsetting because many of them were 4.5 - 5 years old.  :(  I still have my One-Lined Pencil Fish and some Strawberry Rasboras, which do not appear to be affected by the disease, though.

101DalmatianMollies

Poor little fish :( I hope the rest of them make it through OK. It sucks battling disease in your tank. I've gone through a few things with my 33 gallon, and it's a right pain. I hope this doesn't last long for your tank.