New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Classifieds?

Started by Zoe, July 14, 2015, 03:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

Hi! Is there not much of a classifieds section anymore, or is it only visible to registered members?

Thanks!

Zoe

robt18

There are now two sections of classifieds - members and non. The members' classifieds will come up first, and the board for non members is above it. Classifieds have been quite slow lately and usually re in the summer - you'll see things pick up in the fall again.

Zoe

Quote from: robt18 on July 14, 2015, 03:39:12 PM
There are now two sections of classifieds - members and non. The members' classifieds will come up first, and the board for non members is above it. Classifieds have been quite slow lately and usually re in the summer - you'll see things pick up in the fall again.

Ah okay, thanks!

bitterman

The changes were related to http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=58724.0 to open the classifieds to non members and also make things easier to moderate (Having to look in 6 different forums would be a real pain...)

Zoe

I can't view the forum you linked but the reasoning makes sense! It just looked a little sparse (summer time combined with not keeping old ads forever and ever makes sense) so I wasn't sure if I was looking in the right place :)

bitterman

Ohh yes I see you are not an Ovas Club member. The thread is located in the forum " OVAS Club Discussions [OVAS Members only]"

Bruce

ReefMaverick

OMG the dreadful classified, member vs non-member thing. OVAS used to be way more busy and was getting lots of hits until couple years ago they implemented new rules and bunch of members and non-members quitted.

Salt

@Reefmaverick....

that's the problem when the communittee turns into an elites boys club....turned a lot of people off.

Cheers, to corporate influence ;-)

Re: Classifieds?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote
OMG the dreadful classified, member vs non-member thing. OVAS used to be way more busy and was getting lots of hits until couple years ago they implemented new rules and bunch of members and non-members quitted.

TLe041

All I will add to this debate is a reminder how the classified used to be very active with upwards of 10 new posts a day. Nowadays, there are 2-3 new posts a week. The OVAS classifieds used to be THE go-to place for exchange of aquaria-related goods for the Ottawa region and the traffic reflected this. I have no doubt that a lot of new members were introduced to the club through the classifieds.

Looking at it from this perspective, club members have to ask themselves whether shutting down postings by non-members was a benefit or a detriment.
Tony

limmer

I just want to say.
It is not an elite boys club.  It is volunteers.
There are 2 positions still open.
You are welcome to step up and make a difference.

Mike L

Quote from: Salt on July 18, 2015, 07:04:09 PM
@Reefmaverick....

that's the problem when the communittee turns into an elites boys club....turned a lot of people off.

Reply with quoteQuote

Maybe I'm stoking the fire here but not quite understanding the hate going on. It's not like the classifieds are the site but rather an addition to the site. Ovas is about an exchange of idea's. As has been mentioned by those that had to moderate the classified's it was a nightmare and as a result a decision was made right or wrong so get over it. By insulting the club you are by extension insulting the members and all who use it including yourself. The classified have been modified and we shall see how it goes. In closing it is all to common in the age of the internet to hide behind a pseudonym and hurl insults so unless you have something pertinent to add to the discussion please refrain from the insults.
Mike

Zoe

Does anyone know where folks might be posting now? Just kijiji?

Not trying to insinuate anything btw, just trying to buy used rather than new if I can!

Mike L

I always go to Kijiji and ovas. The best deal wins.  

Stussi613

Actually people complaining and pushing against the people actually volunteering to try to make this club better was what caused all the fighting that made people leave the club.

If people have never volunteered for the exec on OVAS, or have any idea how much work people put in to try to make a bunch of people with no desire to help but lots of time to criticize then they should really shut their mouths and keep their opinions to themselves.
I haz reef tanks.

Zoe

charlie

@Reefmaverick....

Reply with quoteQuote

Interesting disclosure! care to expound for the readers at large?????????????
This statement was allowed to sit for days , hopefully my inquiry does not hastily bring in the moderation!

bergenm

It's interesting seeing two people expressing their strong opinions on the effects of closing the classified when neither of them were forum members at that time...
Michael

charlie

Quote from: bergenm on July 21, 2015, 07:07:22 AM
It's interesting seeing two people expressing their strong opinions on the effects of closing the classified when neither of them were forum members at that time...

QuoteCheers, to corporate influence ;-)

bitterman

Ok I think this has gone far enough... so I am locking the thread.. Here are some things to think about.

Honestly if the classified were not closed things were so bad they would have been removed. It was a compromise at the time and not what people wanted to do was needed to be done. The moderation team was spending hours and hours per day dealing with continual issues and repeat offenders.

When the classified system has been opened up each time Ovas Club Membership has fallen greatly. After the backlash cleared up with time Ovas Club Membership actually increase closer to back int he days. Membership was up to over 200 members again. I hope people prove me wrong and and keep buying memberships but this has already occurred multiple times. If things get out of hand again... most likely Classified system will be no longer on our club site so please behave :(

To those that are not Ovas Club Members I urge you to join as a thanks for opening the classified system to everyone. Being an Ovas Club member is about enabling the club with your membership $$ to do things like Bring back Aquamania, Give back to the community, and keep this site up and running. It all costs the club $. Maybe even a June BBQ again next year (This was cut due to the lack of volunteers and people helping keep the club going). you wouldn't believe the work the exec puts into the club to keep things running planned and going smooth.

There are open Exec and chair positions. People could step up and help the club! Help shape the club into what you want it to be the Membership and exec shapes the club. Even though the exec runs the club is listens to the membership.

Opening the classified system was the result of a vote by the ovas club members. The exec listens and follows what the club members want. If you are not and Ovas club member you simply don't have a vote... another reason to step and become and Ovas Club Member. Have a say... shape the club for the better and please think before you type.

Bruce