New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

21 gallon low-tech planted

Started by Zoe, July 30, 2015, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

I am slowly piecing together what I am hoping will be low-maintenance planted tank. I am doing it on the cheap as much as possible, lots of waiting and scouring classifieds. Nearly to the point where I can put water in it!

Specs:
21g rimless tank
AC 50 HOB filter
Satellite Freshwater LED+ light
Ikea stand

I am planning to not use CO2, and dose minially with liquid ferts and CO2 booster.

I think I will go with Fluval Statrum substrate. I've never really used it, but I like how it looks. I will just have to let everything root decently before I put my ramshorns in.

Livestock:
My betta and CRS, currently in a 2gal
Trio of badis
School of something - any ideas for small, demure, tight schoolers?
Maybe a school of otos... Haven't thought the stocking through too much yet

Plants:
Lots of moss on everything, and for ground cover. Maybe some fissidens / pelia.
HM bush (not ground cover)
Blyxa
Brown crypts

Next paycheque I will pick up the driftwood and substrate and start looking for plants.

God I love this light! Sorry the pictures are sideways :(

wrm130

I look forward to seeing pics of updates as this progresses :)

Regarding the badis, do you have a source of live food for them? They are INCREDIBLY picky eaters. Your shrimp will definitely suffer losses.

Zoe

Quote from: wrm130 on July 30, 2015, 12:17:59 PM
I look forward to seeing pics of updates as this progresses :)

Regarding the badis, do you have a source of live food for them? They are INCREDIBLY picky eaters. Your shrimp will definitely suffer losses.

I don't, no - I had some badis year ago, and I can't remember what I fed them but I never had issues. Frozen bloodworms and such, probably.

I hope the planting will allow for some baby shrimp to grow to maturity, if not all. Circle of life and such!

exv152

Nice tank Zoe! ;)

How about some micro fish; like chili rasboras, phoenix rasboras, emerald rasboras, or celestial pearl danios ?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Zoe

Quote from: exv152 on July 30, 2015, 08:34:04 PM
Nice tank Zoe! ;)

How about some micro fish; like chili rasboras, phoenix rasboras, emerald rasboras, or celestial pearl danios ?

Hehe, isn't it though! :D

Yes! Micro fish is exactly what I need. Do you think I have enough space for a school of those AND a school of otos?

exv152

Quote from: Zoe on July 30, 2015, 09:13:49 PM
Micro fish is exactly what I need. Do you think I have enough space for a school of those AND a school of otos?

No doubt. Micro fish are some of my favourite fish because they're tiny (less than an inch), community friendly, add virtually no bioload and are some of the most active and colourful in the hobby. The only downside is they tend to hide a lot, like otos unless kept in larger groups of their own kind.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Zoe

Voila! All leveled and full, and with the half bag of stratum substrate I had left, and a wee little plant for fun.

I have an AC50 HOB on it at the moment but it's noisy.  I am keeping an eye out for a canister filter and eventually would like to get an inline heater and glass intake / output pipes to really minimize the hardware in the tank.

This week I plan to pick up another bag of stratum and a piece of driftwood.

Zoe

Progress! I upgraded to an Eheim 2213 canister filter and glass poppy intake/output pipes.  I plan to go with an inline heater soon to really minimize the visible cords/hardware.

I also added 4.4 lbs of fluval stratum, 10 lbs of carib sea super naturals voodoo, and two pieces of driftwood.  I'll do the scape later when I can actually see. 

Not much for lookin' at, picture-wise, at the moment.  But I am pretty pleased so far!

Zoe

LIFE!

Okay, water is nearly clear and the aquascape and planting is done and I've started stocking it.

Driftwood plants:
Moss
Fissidens
Pelia
Anubias

Ground cover:
Staurogyne repens
DHG
HC (we'll see if it survives)

Stem/bush plants:
HM
Crypts
Limnophilia and ludwigia super red (I may not keep these if they red fades)

Livestock:
CRS and Amano
6 oto cats
Ramshorns

In a week or so I will add a school of chili rasboras (or similar teeny guys) and eventually some scarlet badis.

I am not sure about stocking the top level of the tank. I can't think of any I like that will work in this tank. I want to keep everything very small.

And boy I can't wait to get that heater out of there!

SlyAngel

Nice tank....love the cat watching...lol
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

Zoe

Quote from: SlyAngel on August 18, 2015, 01:46:50 PM
Nice tank....love the cat watching...lol

Haha, she's so cute. Her name is Sly  :)

Zoe

I haven't changed too too much recently, but my plants and mosses are starting to grow.  I lost a lot of my oto cats unfortunately. Not sure if the tank was under-cycled, they starved (they didn't look thin and had food access) or they were just not in great health to start with. The shrimp have done well, as have the snails.

I can't wait for the ground plants to fill in AND to get rid of the in-tank heater. And get my fish! I picked up some microworms this week so I am ready for my badis, which I think will be a next weekend pickup.

vic622

In case you don't know, the Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) like live food & will seek out and eat any nauplii from your shrimp. They also tend to be territorial, so two males will display and may get aggressive to establish territory.
Having said that, they are one of my favourite micro fish, beautiful and lots of character!
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

Zoe

Quote from: vic622 on September 02, 2015, 10:36:44 PM
In case you don't know, the Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) like live food & will seek out and eat any nauplii from your shrimp. They also tend to be territorial, so two males will display and may get aggressive to establish territory.
Having said that, they are one of my favourite micro fish, beautiful and lots of character!

I plan to get 1.2 so there will be no territorial issues (he will get to rule the entire footprint of the tank!) But I am indeed not expecting very many baby shrimp. Worth it though. Badis are my favourites!

vic622

Quote from: Zoe on September 03, 2015, 09:38:19 AM
I plan to get 1.2 so there will be no territorial issues (he will get to rule the entire footprint of the tank!) But I am indeed not expecting very many baby shrimp. Worth it though. Badis are my favourites!
Awesome!  ;D
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches