New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Baby Dwarf Tear Problems

Started by neon1423, July 31, 2015, 03:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon1423

Hey all, so I have a 20h hight ech planted tank. its about a year old now. It had a beautiful full carpet half dwarf hairgrass, and half baby dwarf tears. About a month ago all the baby tears died off seeminly overnight. All the stems and roots were gone. There were some stems left which I saved and replanted, the same as when I planted when I started the tank (a few short stems in the subtrait spaced about an inch apart). Now its been a month and the planted stems have grown nice and tall and healthy but there is no runners and appeart there are little to no roots.

Some background on the set up.
Finnex ray2 led light
Flouval CO2 system with Bike Inflator co2 cartige
Flourish black sand substrait

Nothing has changed, no no fish, no change to ferts, nothing has changed. Any ideas why the baby tears arent rebuilding the carpet?

exv152

Quote from: neon1423 on July 31, 2015, 03:44:00 PM
Hey all, so I have a 20h hight ech planted tank. its about a year old now. It had a beautiful full carpet half dwarf hairgrass, and half baby dwarf tears. About a month ago all the baby tears died off seeminly overnight. All the stems and roots were gone. There were some stems left which I saved and replanted, the same as when I planted when I started the tank (a few short stems in the subtrait spaced about an inch apart). Now its been a month and the planted stems have grown nice and tall and healthy but there is no runners and appeart there are little to no roots.

Some background on the set up.
Finnex ray2 led light
Flouval CO2 system with Bike Inflator co2 cartige
Flourish black sand substrait

Nothing has changed, no no fish, no change to ferts, nothing has changed. Any ideas why the baby tears arent rebuilding the carpet?

What kind of fertilizers are you using and how often do you dose?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

neon1423

Quote from: exv152 on July 31, 2015, 03:58:51 PM
What kind of fertilizers are you using and how often do you dose?

I have the full range of the Flourish ferts, and I dose up to 4 times a week depending on the fert

exv152

My next guess would be inconsistent co2 levels. HC doesn't need high light, but it definitely needs an abundance of co2 to thrive.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: neon1423 on July 31, 2015, 10:09:42 PM
I have the full range of the Flourish ferts, and I dose up to 4 times a week depending on the fert

Seachem Flourish? You mean like the Seachem Nitrate, Phosphate, etc. Well, can I suggest that you go to the following web site, http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php,  join the forum and open up 'Fertilator' (second item from the left in the banner near the top of the page). It's a calculator to determine the ppm of each of the macros and several of the micros. The drop down items include all the Seachem products, and so it would be very easy to find out that the Seachem products provide very little of any NO3 or PO4 or potassium (if you are using their recommended dosage instructions). Now this isn't necessarily what has caused your problem, but certainly using these products you, are only buying very expensive water, and not much else. Please understand that for a low tech tank they would probably, in many cases, be enough. But for a high tech tank, not enough.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain