New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Some people!!

Started by goldfish, August 20, 2015, 03:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldfish

Hey guys just a reminder for those buying used equipment to check it well before handing over any money..

We purchased an eheim 2211 filter from a member of ovas through kijiji and it was advertised as a few months use and perfect condition. Its partly our fault for not checking it but got it home went to set it up and the outlet nozzle is broken off and one of the retaining clips pin is missing. When told about this his reply was well it still works. We paid top dollar for this so it wasn't cheap. With that said does any one have a 2211 that is only good for parts for sale cheap?? As we now need to fix it.

Thanks rant is now over.

Al

Yes you always have to be careful with 2nd hand stuff. Sometimes its worth just buying new unless it is in pristine condition. In the case of eheim, the lifecycle of their stuff is very long so new is usually a good investment.

I dont know about the 2211 hose sizes, but if you let me know I have several outlets here and would be glad to give you one for free if I have one. The clips I can't help you with but you should be able to get them from a local shop pretty inexpensively.
Let me know if I can help.

ottguy

I just recently had the same problem, but it was a package of three filters. Two aquaclear 70s and one topfin 60. She said the were all in good working condition. One was cracked and the other two only have a trickle of water come out of them. I think the motors are too worn. She obviously knew and ripped me off. She sells a lot of aquarium stuff on kijji. Stay away from her...

goldfish

I'd understand more if he didn't live in a big posh house with nice fancy cars in the drive way. Obviously needs the money more than some I guess.

Mike L

Sorry to hear this. If the outlet your referring to is the hose connection coming directly out of the top housing I have a solution since I broke one on my old 2217. You will see that the top is 2 pieces really just a finish cowling over the motor housing. Remove that cowling and you will be left with the motor proper with a nipple where the water comes out. You can attach your hose to this and use a S.S gear clamp to hold it in place. The unit will still clip to the main body and presto your running. Clips order through big al's but it will run when missing only one clip.
Mike

goldfish

Quote from: Mike L on August 23, 2015, 11:26:11 AM
Sorry to hear this. If the outlet your referring to is the hose connection coming directly out of the top housing I have a solution since I broke one on my old 2217. You will see that the top is 2 pieces really just a finish cowling over the motor housing. Remove that cowling and you will be left with the motor proper with a nipple where the water comes out. You can attach your hose to this and use a S.S gear clamp to hold it in place. The unit will still clip to the main body and presto your running. Clips order through big al's but it will run when missing only one clip.
Mike

Thanks mike. Kinda had that in mind to do but nice to know it'll work  ;D

goldfish

Quote from: Al on August 20, 2015, 07:27:43 PM
Yes you always have to be careful with 2nd hand stuff. Sometimes its worth just buying new unless it is in pristine condition. In the case of eheim, the lifecycle of their stuff is very long so new is usually a good investment.

I dont know about the 2211 hose sizes, but if you let me know I have several outlets here and would be glad to give you one for free if I have one. The clips I can't help you with but you should be able to get them from a local shop pretty inexpensively.
Let me know if I can help.

Thanks for the offer Al. I'll do what mike suggested  :)

Mike L

the filter will be even quitter with the cowling off. No resonance chamber.