New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Greetings fellow aquaria-maniacs

Started by Andrej, August 27, 2015, 11:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrej

Good Day

Just want to take a few minutes and introduce myself. My name is Andrej , I am 29 years old and became a fan 6-7 month ago. My wife had an aquarium (Bio-Cube approx. 125 L) for very long time but she was never really interested in maintaining it so was I, aquarium was never super dirty but it was never clean and pretty either. I decided to do little research in how to minimize cleaning efforts while keeping it clean. Since I started reading about fish I got hooked. Now I have a 55 gal aquarium it is 5 month old, it is planted (lightly) , I have 4 molies, few platies, 8 neon tetras , 4 black tetras, around 10 red cherry shrimp ( and  few are pregnant again), 1 dwarf crayfish, 1 apple snail and 3 assassin snails  . Bio Cube has 4 amano shrimps and bunch of platy babies and as soon as those will grow up it will get converted into something. The best part my wife got re-involved and now it is family hobby.

Mike L

Hello Andrej and welcome.
  I'm assuming the cleaning regime is a little more constant this time around? I've always noted that small cleaning every day just before feeding makes the  weekly cleaning much easier. I'm a cichlid keeper so I'm doing a 40% water change in my 4 tanks each week. Total time about 1hr with a 2 -3 hour one every 2 months when cleaning filters. It certainly helps that your wife is involved.
It is rare that one's partner is as enthusiastic as the hobbyist so your lucky on that front.  Keep us posted on the progress.
Regards Mike

Andrej

Oh definitely much more care goes into keeping aquariums now. Same here 30-40 % water change every sunday, I change one filter every month, rotating so in this case it is always 1 new and 1 old. Have a bit of algae but it is mostly due to me experimenting with new LED light fixture.

Mike L

What are you using for filtration on the tanks.

Andrej

On my 55 gal  I have Aqueon 55 gal filter which I am looking to upgrade to something that can handle 100 gal + , it is just the matter of time and money, and second which is aprox 30 gal is Oceanic Bio-Cube system with it own fancy filtration systems

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/biocube-aquarium-p-5629.html