New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I am New here!

Started by SS, September 10, 2015, 12:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SS

I am New here. I just set up a 55 gal thank in which I need to put some cichlids like Red Empress, Demasoni or Frontosa Mpimbwe Blue/Kigoma and  Red Zebra. I got such fish in the past and that was a very peaceful and enjoyable tank.

Cheers everyone! :)

bitterman

Welcome to ovas.

You should post a LF: ad in the classified system for the items you are looking for your tank. Is it cycled yet? if not you might want to do some reading. If you have a friend with a healthy tank you could seed your tank from there tank with some used filter media to save some time.

You definitely need to do research for the fish you want. There is a definite problem with the fish you have listed.

Frontosa and Gibberosa for example really need at least a 125 gallon tank. The other fish you mention like the Demasoni will beat the crap out of a frontosa. Frontosa/gibberosa also like to live in a colony and not suited to a 50 gallon tank.

If you are interested in Frontosa or Gibbersoa I suggest you read this older ovas newsletter as it has some very good information on Frontosa/Gibberosa.

http://ovas.ca/newsletters/Fall2010.pdf

Bruce

SS

Thank for those good advices. Earlier I got a 65 Gal and 5 fish in it including the the frontosa mpimbwe that was the latest I got for about 4 months b4 I shut down the tank. I didn t have that time to observe his behaviour so, I didn t know that that sort of fish needs space. The tank was peaceful. Is that because I got just females in it? I didn t want to see babies the around.
For cycling, I got the replaced media of friend tank. I just put some crush corals now. I am somehow ready bcauz the PH is already at 7.6 and water is just crystal. I am using a filter that can filter twice the capacity of the tank per hour

I greatly appreciate the link you sent to to that doc. It s pretty useful.

Cheers!

bitterman

The single frontosa was most likely stressed and cowering.. Most likely not getting enough food either as frontosa are slower feeders than most Malawi cichlids.  Mpimwe has a better chance of working then Burundi type... as they are more aggressive feeder, and personality wise a bit more outgoing and puppy dog like. Demonsini will no mater what possible tear a Frontosa or gibberosa to shreds.  It is also possible if the Frontosa or Gierose was big enough it could eat some other fish in your tank if they fit in there mouth could be food.

If it was me I would look more at the mildly aggressive cichlids for a 55. If you want Demasoni your going to need a huge colony and lots of rock work to make a go of it. It can work but they will be hard on other fish in the tank most the time.

Do lots of research and pick your fish such they they will work well together.

Also beware if you have aggression issues, higher stock levels can help decrease aggression... but needs more filtration and also more water changes. Lower temperature can also curb aggression... at 74-75f compared to 78f can make a big difference. Also lights off can be helpful.  Also watch lights off as this can be when fights happen... seen people wake up in the morning to dead fish and not know why.

What interests you in terms of look of fish and behavior?

I like to keep tanks to one lake... say all Malawi or all Tangs or all vic's thats just me.

Are you ok with a species only tank or want a variety?

An all male tank of Malawi's can be very interesting and put on a very nice show (females are normally more dull) It can also mean less aggression as not females to fight over. Can still be issues but can work also.

You ok with smaller fish or want fish that get bigger?

What colours you want to see in your tank?

These can all play roles in fish selection and tank dynamics

Bruce

sas

Hi and welcome to the Forum part of OVAS.
May I suggest that you post your questions or concerns in the Cichlids area of
the Freshwater general discussions, since you are likely to
get more responses there.

Sharbuckle