New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

80 Gallon Bowfront Build

Started by neon1423, September 17, 2015, 02:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon1423

Hey everyone. I recently picked up a 80 gallon bowfront and stand from online for only 140$. Now it did leak when I got it, and the poeple I got it from didn't know what they were doing because there was silicone everywhere trying to stop it from leaking. After many hours I've removed the silicone, resealed it and tested it. Its held water for over 2 weeks now in the garage with no problems. I'm putting the finishing touches on the stand today.

My plan it to turn it into a planted tank. I still need to gather the light and substrait. I was hoping to use a finnex ray2 led light and some ada amazonia substrait, but I cant find anyone in the city who carrys them. I don't mind ordering the light online, but the substrait will cost a fortune on shipping costs. Does anyone know where I could find either of these in the city, or failing that, have reccommendations as to alternatives I can get in the city?

Thanks, and I'll post pictures soon.

daworldisblack

If you're ever in the Guelph area, Angelfins carries them. They also ship - though am not sure how much that'd be. Quite a few shops in the GTA carry ADA soil as well. Theres also a new shop in Montreal that does - might be a closer drive. They sell hardgoods and plants as well so may be worth it. Finnex definitely has to be ordered online and in the states, unless you find them used locally.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Aquatica in Montreal carries ADA Amazonia for $36 a bag if I remember correctly. They're only an hour & a half away.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

neon1423

So last night I finished rebuilding the stand. The lady I bought it from had stored it outside and there was some damage to the stand. So I sanded it, stained it, and rebuild some of the damaged areas as well as added some more structural support. The next step is to start gathering the supplies I need.

sanny

Nice! Thats one hell of a nice tank....

vic622

That's going to make a mighty fin planted tank!
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

neon1423

So its been a few days since an update. I've finalized the list of plants and the general layout, and am in the process of gathering al the parts I need. the plants I intend to use are

Didiplis diandra
Cryptocoryne crispatula
Ludwigia palustris
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
Fissidens fontanus
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hygrophila difformis
Rotala wallichii

I already have a co2 system ready, and am planning on ordering a finnex light soon. I'm still toying over a diy dosing system for ferts.

I also have a question for the community, I'm planing on using ada amazonia, but is it worth my while getting the power sand to go under it? And if so, in what ratio?

TLe041

I wouldn't bother with power sand or any of the other ADA substrate additives. Amazonia alone is perfectly fine. To prolong its fertilizing capabilities you could add a few root tabs if you like, but is not necessary.
Tony

exv152

Quote from: neon1423 on September 24, 2015, 10:48:28 AMI also have a question for the community, I'm planing on using ada amazonia, but is it worth my while getting the power sand to go under it? And if so, in what ratio?

I've done a few tanks with the regular Amazonia alone, with no issues. The soil contains a fair bit of nutrients when you first add it new, which tends to raise the ammonia quite a bit. But you can reduce that with some heavy water changes in the first week. If you were using ADA's malaya or africana soil (the two other soils available by ADA), then I would suggest the extra additives because they're essentially inert. But the amazonia is the opposite. See the diagram.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

neon1423

So its been a while, but I finally was able to get to montreal to buy the last of the parts. For the light I ended up using buying a Deep Blue Solar Flare DX.

I did the final layout last night and if all things go as planned I will do initial planting and water today. Provided Critter Jungle has the plants I need to start.

Attached is a photo of the layout I'm going with.

Jellyanne

Nice!
I'm happy to see you got the substrate you needed!
I will follow the planting of your tank, it seems like it will be gorgeous in the end!
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

neon1423

So after about 2 hours at critter jungle with Jason, and trading in a ton of HC (theres a ton at critter jungle now btw), I have all the plants I needed. Attached is a photo I took shortly after planting.

neon1423

No new pics yet, but last night I put a sacrificial Serpe Tetra into the tank and he's still swimming happily this eveing, so after christmas I get to start stocking the tank. I'm very excited. The current list of fish is

Neon Tetra
Rummy Nose Tetra
Ember Tetra
Bloodfin Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Cherry Barbs (Maybe)

And then of course some oto's, amano shrimp, cherry shrimp, and nerite snails.

Also an update on the light. In addition to the deepblue led light I also bought 2 2x24" T5HO fixtures running 1 10,000k and 1 5,000K Plant Specific bulb each.

I also got from a friend, whos 110gallon tank broke on him dumping all the 110 gallons on his floor (sucks), a fluval 406 canester filter.

neon1423

So its been a while so I took a photo of the tank today so I'll share it here with you.

Sharbuckle

Looks great! Always thought about doing a planted tank but salt has me forever.

neon1423

Finnally completed the tank. Got a DICI CO2 Regulator and solenoid system from Jason at Critter Jungle yesterday. It attaches to a 20oz Paintball canester. Dinally I don't have to dink around with the 20g tiny system I was struggling with.