New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cichlids in Ottawa Area.. Why the decline in popularity?

Started by bitterman, September 28, 2015, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Hi everyone,

Over the past several years the number of people keep cichlids seems to have declined a lot!!! It used to be everyone was keep cichlids.. now not so many.

For those that are still keeping cichlids pipe in with why you still keep them.

For those that are no longer keeping cichlids but used to, speak up to why you moved aways from cichlids and what you moved on to?

I'm still in the Cichlid game but down to 1 tank of F1 Mpimbwe Gibberosa.

Thanks,
 Bruce

Jody

Hi Bruce and everyone,

Great topic!

There has definitely been a downturn in the cichlid hobby in the last couple of years, but they will be back!

I am still keeping cichlids.
Currently some Victorians, Malawi haps, Tanganyikan Julies and Lamps, as well as angels, festivums, nannacara, apistos..

I have been interested in cichlids ever since I have my first convicts and kribs when I was a kid. I find their behaviour fascinating, especially when breeding.

I have had L. ocellatus female, maybe 1" long attack my hand, while it was halfway across a 48" long tank from her shell. And she wasn't breeding at the time.

Thanks
Jody

TLe041

Perhaps the decline in cichlids corresponds to the growing popularity of planted tanks (due Takeshi Amano and ADA)?
Tony

Al

I have kept cichlids for many years and have had interest in many different types.
When living in SW Ontario, I was living outside of Guelph where the CRLCA  - Canadian Rift Lake Cichlid Association - was located. It was a great club with lots happening and importing lots of fish, especially tangs. Jody was sent by our club to go and work at Stuart Grants in Malawi but I'll let him talk about that at a future CLAM meeting, would be a great topic.

Like others, I enjoy the variety of cichlids, their behaviours - mouth brooding as an example, male/female mouthbrooding switches, etc. Malawi cichlids with their great colours and tanganyikans for their interesting behaviours and colours. There is something about a tank of 20-30 tropheus with their non-stop activity, or a tank with some featherfins and the males building their bowers to entice females - large pits that can be 18" across in a fair sized aquarium, maintained meticulously by the male. Or a large group of cyprichromis with their magnificent colours and unique lek breeding in open water - swimming back and forth.
And while you can keep some large petrochromis that hit 8-10-12 inches and are like puppy dogs (although can easily be Jekyl and Hyde), you can also keep awesome shell dwellers that live in small neothauma shells that are about 1.5" in size and you'd be amazed at their lives in those shells.

Today I keep south American cichlids as a few years ago I was looking for a change and some new challenges. Again, some very unique fish, body shapes, etc. Heros, pike cichlids, headstanders and sandsifters like geophagus are really interesting fish to keep. I also have some myleus , a type of silver dollar, which I would have never considered years ago however, they are a unique sight in a large tank with some compatible fish - meaning fish that are absolute gluttons and can eat in nanoseconds. While initially concerned about my hard well water at 7.8pH and 380ppm hardness, all but the real blackwater fish that absolutely require soft/soft water, I have had relatively no issues with my water and the fish I have been keeping. I keep my water steady, watch my nitrates as many SA fish are a little touchy to nitrates and everything has been good.
My only issue to date has been a group of guianacara geayii I bought recently - beautiful eartheater - which will eventually max out at 5-6". The female like to lay their eggs inside a cave on a wall or a vertical surface - the problem being the 300-400 fry that come from that love-in.

There has certainly been a drop in cichlid interest in that last few years although it is cyclical like everything else in life. One day square toe shoes are in, then it's pointy. The pastels that are popular now are out next spring. Depends on where you live - the Montreal market as many know is different than Ottawa and Toronto, again, much different - still lots of cichlids in SW Ontario. Out west in cities like Calgary, very little interest in cichlids, mostly salt.

Bottom line - if you're keeping fish there is a cichlid that would definitely fit your want list from a small 20G tank to as large as you want to get.

Anyone want some guianacara fry??

Jody

Yes, I can for sure talk about my Lake Malawi adventure at one of the CLAM meetings.

So many cichlids, so little tank space!

Jody

limmer

I have been keeping African Cichlids for a long time now.
I'm always interested in seeing something new.
It's great to get together with other fish people.
It would be great to hear Jody's stories.
I have heard some great stores out of the people who have made the trip to the African lakes.
Looking forward to the next CLAM meeting.

Mike L

I have been a avid fish keeper for over 30 years. Tried my hand at just about every fish out there but always got back to cichlids and have been a disciple ever since my twenties. The only one I  failed miserably  with was Discus. Hats off to those that have had success with them. Without question my fascination with them is their behavior. Be it watching the various  breeding behaviors or how they establish and defend territories it is almost like they are reasoning things out. Don't know why the decline in  popularity but as a few on this site have found out keeping them is very rewarding. My only regret is that I  have no more room for more tanks.

markw

Why have cichlids declined in popularity around Ottawa? Hell, that's easy...cause I left town!  8) sorry, couldn't pass up the chance! You guys aren't the only ones, it's dead almost everywhere except Ohio! Those guys just keep pounding out more and more... Wish I was closer and could get there again this year for OCA!
Keep up,the good work guys!
Cheers, Mark

pworthing

Sorry, closing down the last cichlid tank for now.   
Had to make room in the basement for flying pucks and time for driving to the rink.
Love all cichlids, but going to try a planted tank for a change.

I blame the plantaholics for this :)   
I want some calm green glory for a change.    Have to try the shrimp thing..   eyeing it for a while.

I am thinking of a calm butterfly now in a planted tank.

Still have a Tanganyikan tank in my head down the road though.    Full of cyps, multis and comps.
125G - Mixed Africans

bitterman

Thanks guys!

Mark, I definitely miss all the amazing fish you had available. I should have setup tanks and bought them all from you! But was not in the cards at the time.

Bruce