New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

lighting a 220 freshwater planted tank

Started by Kelly, October 01, 2015, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

How about running four 48" T5-HO's in parallel over top the middle of the tank and then two 24" on each side but perpendicular?

Kelly

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Kelly

Quote from: lucius on October 04, 2015, 09:42:01 PM
How about running four 48" T5-HO's in parallel over top the middle of the tank and then two 24" on each side but perpendicular?

Didn't think of that, makes sense and not too much more expensive.

wolfiewill

I also suggest that you add only water to your tank and try your CO2 system by itself. See if you can get the requisite pH drop. That will go a long way to decide which kind of plants you should buy.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Kelly

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 05, 2015, 08:20:02 AM
I also suggest that you add only water to your tank and try your CO2 system by itself. See if you can get the requisite pH drop. That will go a long way to decide which kind of plants you should buy.

What would be the required pH drop and how do I go about that? I was hoping to start the tank this week end. Wouldn't it make it a lot harder to plant with water in the tank?

Do I test for the proper pH drop and then lower the water enough to plant then refill once it is set right?

wolfiewill

Quote from: Kelly on October 05, 2015, 07:45:16 PMWhat would be the required pH drop and how do I go about that? I was hoping to start the tank this week end. Wouldn't it make it a lot harder to plant with water in the tank?

Do I test for the proper pH drop and then lower the water enough to plant then refill once it is set right?

A pH drop of 1.0 should be your target. Just set up your CO2 system as you intend, and run it for a few days, maybe a week. For a volume like 220 g it will take a few days - at 10 hours per day - to get to the desired level, if your system is capable. The pH won't rise as high each night if you run it on successive days. It will reach an equilibrium eventually. Once you get the whole tank set up, you need to have the CO2 timed to come on each day at a time that will allow the tank pH to reach it's target just as the lights come on. Usually 1 to 2 hours before the lights. And set it to go off about an hour before the lights go off.

And yes, you will lower the water level when you want to plant.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Kelly

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 05, 2015, 10:37:38 PM
A pH drop of 1.0 should be your target. Just set up your CO2 system as you intend, and run it for a few days, maybe a week. For a volume like 220 g it will take a few days - at 10 hours per day - to get to the desired level, if your system is capable. The pH won't rise as high each night if you run it on successive days. It will reach an equilibrium eventually. Once you get the whole tank set up, you need to have the CO2 timed to come on each day at a time that will allow the tank pH to reach it's target just as the lights come on. Usually 1 to 2 hours before the lights. And set it to go off about an hour before the lights go off.

And yes, you will lower the water level when you want to plant.

Okay, thanks Wolfiewill, I filled my CO2 today at Davidson's, shaky nerves but I'm getting started. I'm going to put down the substrate tomorrow and fill the tank.

sas

Awesome can't wait to see your tank as it evolves, always exciting to watch.
Be sure to start a new thread in the Freshwater Tank Builds section of the forum,
that way your thread will get more traffic, thus more responses.  :)