New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bio loads and filters

Started by Caitiepi, October 03, 2015, 01:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitiepi

Hi all,

I have a question regarding bio loads and filters. I have a 46 gallon aquarium which is running off a Aqueon QuietFlow 30. Technically this filter isn't even strong enough to support a fully stocked 46 gallon. My tank is not fully stocked yet, as I had some nitrite/nitrate issues which needed to be dealt with before I added anymore fish. Anyways, long story short- if I were to add in more fish than is recommended (1 inch of fish per 10 gals, I know there are exceptions to this such as the size of the fish and swimming room, etc) theoretically it would be ok if I upped my filter to one for a larger aquarium and made sure to do water changes and cleaning every week? It will be a while before my bio load exceeds my tank but I'd like to know ahead of time that this will work. Obviously the bio load shouldn't exceed tank capacity greatly but how much extra could a tank support if a stronger filter was added?

Thanks!!
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

lucius

You could always add a second Aqueon QuietFlow 30 instead of up sizing your current filter if space permits.

Caitiepi

Space would permit, there is a removable section for that purpose in the lid. I figure it would be more cost effective to run one stronger filter than two smaller ones. Unless there is another reason to do two smaller ones.
And any idea how much extra could be supported by doing that? I want a fuller aquarium but I don't want to end up adversely affecting my fish and tank health.
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

bitterman

You indicate some Nitrite and Nitrate issues.

Is your cycle finished? How long the tank been running?

You existing filter is not big enough.....

Running 2 filters can be a good things as if one dies you have one still working.

There are 3 types of filtration Chemical, Biological and mechanical.

The Biological filter is what changes the ammonia to Nitrite and then Nitrite to Nitrate.

In a fresh water aquarium the only way to remove nitrates is water changes.

To me it sounds like your cycle is not complete, Your feeding too much, not gravel vacuumed or have too many fish.

The 1" per gallon general rule does not really apply unless you have smaller fish. Also use the max size of the fish for this rule.... or over time your tank will be over stocked.

For example your not going to keep a 10" long fish happy and healthy in a 10 gallon aquarium. Its a starting point... but the larger the fish the larger the weight/bio load per inch of fish. So keep this in mind.

B

wolfiewill

Quote from: bitterman on October 04, 2015, 09:13:40 AM..... In a fresh water aquarium the only way to remove nitrates is water changes......

Plants also remove nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Caitiepi

My tank parameters are all well within acceptable levels- the nitrite/nitrate problems were past tense. Two weeks of 40-50% water changes and seeded substrate fixed the problem. I am aware that the filter that came with the tank is not strong enough to support a fully stocked aquarium of my size (mentioned in my first post ;p)- which mine is not. All I wanted to know was whether one filter or two would be better, and I agree, two probably would be the better idea, not only if one dies but also so that there are two filter cartridges of beneficial bacteria. My fish get fed every second day, and no more than is gone in 5 mins. I also know the 1" of fish is just the most general of rules when it comes to stocking a tank- it makes sense that larger fisher would need a larger aquarium for swimming room, etc. I follow everything that was suggested to me by the members of the forum who responded to my post in the 911 board. As I mentioned before, I am not looking to over stock it or even fully stock it until it's been running with proper parameters for a few months. But I wanted to know what I need so that I can start saving up. :)
Thanks for the info!
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

Al

your Aqueon filter is 200gph from what I read, barely 4 times turnover for that 50G tank. You're right, its barely passable. A second filter would be a great idea, not only if one breaks down but most people keep a second filter to also facilitate alternate cleanings. While one is cleaned, the remaining filter is working at peak until its cleaning time. The downside to your Aqueon filter is you are hostage to Aqueon and buying their cartridges. I don't use  power filters so don't know if you can mod something to bypass this repeat consummable expense that the marketing guys love. A more flexible power filter (hang-on back) would be something like an AquaClear - proven over decades of use with good flow and no need for cartridges. Having said that, if you are going to keep the Aqueon, then a second would make a big improvement and also make it simpler for parts if you ever have issues. I would read up reviews on the Aqueon filters as to long term performance/noise/etc and assess if you want to buy another or evaluate the many other options that are available to you.
Good luck and as you suggest, be patient with progress. Good upfront research like you're doing will make your hobby more enjoyable.

lucius

I'm not really familiar with the Aqueon filter product line either but looking on their website, it looks like the 20 model and up use the same filter cartridges.  The next model up, the QuietFlow 50 is rated at 250GPH so it's not much of an upgrade. The model after that is the 55/75, rated at 400 GPH and it uses two filter cartridges. 

So you can either have one 55/75 filter or two 30's or one 30 and one 50...regardless it looks like you will make use of two filter cartridges if you stick with the Aqueon filters.

bitterman

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 04, 2015, 10:17:22 AM
Plants also remove nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia.

Yes that is true but you do need a fair bit of plants to make a difference. And if you want to get into the HMF conversation some say you get some nitrate removal there (but takes about a year to start happening)... But these things complicate things for newbies.. so was trying to keep things simple and to the point such not to confuse. Even if you have plants alway good to do water changes regularly :)

And yes the consensus is you need more filtration on that tank :P

Bruce

exv152

I believe the OP was asking whether or not they can increase the bio load of a tank if they add another filter.

The easy answer is yes, however, I wouldn't recommend adding more filters if the sole purpose is to increase the fish population. There is a definite limit as to how much more you can filter a tank before you run into all the other problems associated with an overstocked tank that the extra filtration cannot fix, ie; fish stress, disease, parasites, bacteria  etc. The best scenario is to increase your filtration with less fish than is recommended, and still do large weekly water changes.

Hence the reason why a lot of folks on here have multiple tank syndrome (MTS). ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Caitiepi

Thank you all very much for all the input, and for taking the time to answer! I think I will get a second Aqueon as I already have a big box of filter cartridges (and yeah, the size I have and up use the same ones) and I think I'll go with the 50 for now and wait on adding anything else to the tank for a while after.
I would love nothing more than to have multiple tanks but I don't have the space ha ha I think it'd be smarter to use this one as a learning op before either getting another one or up grading to a larger one (which will probably be what I'll end up doing in the long run).
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid