New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank build with Tropica soil

Started by charlie, October 05, 2015, 01:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I was asking Tropica North American distributor some questions about the new "Tropica" plant soil, after some discussion he graciously offered to send me 2X 3 L bags- One soil & 1 Powder.
I figured the least i can do to show appreciation , is to do a tank build thread with it, so others can judge for themselves.
I was going to try it in  a 17 gallon AKA 60P but since i could not find some more locally ( local stores need to stock it ), I decided to redo my low light Aqua Top 8.6 gallon.
More to come as i get going.........

exv152

I noticed critter jungle had only one bag the other day.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on October 05, 2015, 03:02:18 PM
I noticed critter jungle had only one bag the other day.
What Critter Jungle had was Tropica substrate, this is used as a bottom layer & capped with whatever the hobbyist likes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSRAa4By2dw
Regards

charlie

This is the tank that i stripped to use the Tropica soil

The  pellet size of the soil & it`s powdered version is great for small root plants, theTropica powdered soil is not a sandy grain size as with other powdered soils

charlie

Here is a list of everything i intend to start this build with
Tank -Aquatop 8.6 gallon
http://aquatop.com/high-clarity-glass-aquarium-hca-18.html
Lighting: Glo T5 High Output Ballast Kit for 2 - 24" 24 Watt with zoo med t5 HO Aqua Flora & Ocean Sun tubes & Tek Light reflectors.
Filter : Zoo Med Nano 30 canister filter
Heater : Hydor 50 watt
Hardscape: Dragon stone
Plants : Glossostigma elatinoides ,Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' ,Echinodorus tenellus
CO2 : Pressurized via 2 stage DIY & in tank Diffuser

Fertilizer : Unsure at this time, thinking of going with Tropica Ferts.
Starting to play with the layout - fun time

charlie

have planted the tank  & flood it.
I have tested for ammonia & the soil is leaching a bit of it currently sitting @ .50 ppm before starting the filter. I`m hoping some  frequent water changes & the seeded filter will control this as the soil cycles.
I still have some tidying up & setting equipment in it`s final location and tweak things as the tank matures.
I will try & keep this thread updated as things progress.
Regards

exv152

I like it. I think the smaller granules would be perfect for foreground plants with smaller roots, like HC etc. It may help root them better.

What kind of inhabitants are you planning for this setup?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Hi Eric, that is what i`m thinking.
The live stock will be the same that was in the tank before but may switch the norman`s lamp eye.
Norman`s lamp eye, pygmy cories, pygmy Gourami & Dario dario.
Regards

charlie

Happy to report that 5 days later the soil is cycled, some growth & inhabitants waiting to get back in their home.

sas

Wow, looking fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it all filled in.

daworldisblack

Great start! Can't wait for it to mature! Great new additions - nano fishes are just amazing.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Stussi613

I think that most of us are bored of seeing you make these amazing looking tanks on a whim like it's next to no effort for you  ;) ;)
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on October 14, 2015, 12:35:50 PM
I think that most of us are bored of seeing you make these amazing looking tanks on a whim like it's next to no effort for you  ;) ;)
:P :P

bitterman

charlie

I have tweaked to rock work & change location of diffuser , input & output pipes.
I`m still tweaking the light intensity by adjusting the height, took out the lamp eyes & replaced with Green Neons.
No dosing as yet, i`m really liking the Tropica soil so far.
Regards

missavgp

The tank looks really nice. Have you noticed any effect on the pH in the tank? (similar to stratum where it has a slight lowering effect)
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

TLe041

Love the green neons. Where did you get them?
Tony

charlie

Quote from: missavgp on October 28, 2015, 07:43:30 PM
The tank looks really nice. Have you noticed any effect on the pH in the tank? (similar to stratum where it has a slight lowering effect)
Thanks Kerri, yes it does lower the PH.
Quote from: TLe041 on October 29, 2015, 12:01:20 AM
Love the green neons. Where did you get them?
Critter Jungle

charlie

Update:
This will probably be the last update for a while on this project.
My conclusion of the Tropica soil is that it`s a very good substrate, plants respond really well with very little fertilization. The buffering capacity is a bit more aggressive than ADA especially in our already soft water .
I really like the grain size of the powdered version.
Please excuse the dirty DIY pipes, they will soon be changed out for glass pipes.

exv152

Very nice job Charlie. What are you dosing for this setup, and how frequent?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g