New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Next CLAM meeting

Started by Al, October 08, 2015, 12:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Well I believe I speak on behalf of all of us that attended the first CLAM meeting in September that it was a success and we  were happy with the outcome. Met some new people, talked shop and generally had a relaxing time talking about our hobby and cichlids.

There definitely is interest in continuing and several people who were unavailable at the first meeting are enthusiastic about the next meeting, so, I am going to take the initiative to continue the discussion.

I have been communicating with Jody and while he has interest in attending/participating in our cichlid meetings, he has also agreed to talk about his past trip to Stuart Grant's on Lake Malawi - at our next meeting.

For those of you that may not have any knowledge of Stuart Grant, who passed away in 2007, he started a lodge and fish farm on Lake Malawi many years ago - still operational today - and was instrumental in facilitating many new fish coming into to the hobby. Stuart was known around the world by hobbyists, collectors and the ichthyologists that research and share findings on "fish science".

Today a conservation fund in his name is executing many initiatives in The Rift Lakes , such as anti-netting devices, breeding of endangered species and local education of children about fish conservation. With the growing population in Africa and limited resources, fish stocks have been declining for many years.

Jody has agreed to participate in an informal talk about his internship at Stuart's, share some pictures and war stories which I am sure we will all find fascinating. Thanks Jody.

As an initial date I am going to suggest Sunday, December 6th. As Jody works Saturdays, we need to shoot for a Sunday. Like our last meeting, probably 1 p.m. to closing time?

This gives us lots of time to fit this into our schedules (Thankgiving long weekend is here, SAM auction in November so no conflicts).

Any thoughts?

Is there anyone that would be interested in hosting this meeting. I ask the question, however, I guess the first order of business is to get a rough idea of # of attendees, as that will probably determine at whose home we can host it.

If no one can host, I am more than willing to have it at my place again. Depending on media, I have a projector, screen , etc or we can use my living room upstairs and my large monitor. If someone else hosts, I can bring the projector, etc along.

As most of you know, I have a full 2000 SF basement that is the "man/fish cave", so I have lots of room.

Look forward to hearing from everyone regarding your intent to attend or host in December.

Al

bitterman

Sounds awesome Al! Looking forward to another meeting!

Bruce

Al

Well Bruce, two of us so far.
Any others interested, please let us know.
Interested in attending? Or hosting?
Thanks,
Al

Mike L

Think I  can make it as well.
Mike

Bob_S

Look forward the meeting as I was out of Town for the last one.

Particularity interested in want plants to keep with cichlids.

bob
120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp

Al

Great to see some further interest - 5 of us so far, including Jody. I'm trying to keep ahead of this - I know it's 5-6 weeks away but I'm sure Jody needs a "heads up" ahead of time if we are going ahead. Thanks for acknowledging interest.

Jody

I'll happily show up wherever, even if it is just one or two people..lol
:)

fischkopp

Date noted. I will try to come this time. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Al

Great to hear from all of you - looks like we'll have another fun time and we should have a good group with some new faces.
Anyone with an interest in cichlids is welcome to join us - just post so we can have an idea on numbers as we approach the meeting date.
I will send a reminder to everyone mid-November - isn't that coming up quick !! - looking forward to it.
Jody, I'll touch bases with you separately on what you may need, if anything, for your informal chat.
Al

limmer

Hi,
I will try and make it too.
Always a good time.
Let us know if you want me to bring anything.