New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 220 first planted attempt

Started by Kelly, October 08, 2015, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

i've been an aquarium owner for a few years of my life. I currently am running a 55 gallon freshwater with  the following:

12 Danoi's, leopard and zebra
9 green tiger barbs
10 Bosimani Rainbows
6 adult Bolivian Rams
2 tank hatched Bolivian Rams
2 peppered corys
2 Chinese algea eaters
1 flower shrimp

I bought a used 220 gallon in February and am planning on making it a dream accommodation for the above fish. It has some salt water etching but I'm not too concerned with that, should I be?

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Rumble Fish

I wouldn't think a bit of salt would be at all harmful in a tank that size and most of it should clean off with water.  Starting a 100g build myself!  Jumping from a 55 to a 120 will allow for much more fish  :)  Do you plan on having any plants?
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish

robt18

Use some vinegar to get rid of the mineral stains and you'll be good as new! Just be sure to rinse the tank really well.

Lots of room for additional stock in there ;)

Kelly

Quote from: Rumble Fish on October 27, 2015, 12:30:40 AM
I wouldn't think a bit of salt would be at all harmful in a tank that size and most of it should clean off with water.  Starting a 100g build myself!  Jumping from a 55 to a 120 will allow for much more fish  :)  Do you plan on having any plants?
It's not the salt, after cleaning the tank very well with vinegar and water and even trying to buff the etching out with rubbing compound it's still there. When I did the 24 hour leak test after re-siliconeing it the etching didn't show when it was full so that part is all good, it's the integrity part that worries me. The etching is so minimal that I'm probably being too overly cautious.

I hope your build goes well, more fish is always great!

Yes, I plan on having it planted.

Kelly

Quote from: robt18 on October 27, 2015, 08:52:49 AM
Use some vinegar to get rid of the mineral stains and you'll be good as new! Just be sure to rinse the tank really well.

Lots of room for additional stock in there ;)

I tried the vinegar wash but the etching is in the glass, even tried buffing it out with rubbing compound. The good news is when I did the 24 hour leak test the etching didn't show up when the tank was full so I think I'm good to go.

Kelly

As it turned out the etching doesn't show when the tank is full. Currently setting temp and PH, as soon as they're stabilized I'll drain most of the tank and plant it then cycle it. Hope to have fish in it by Christmas.