New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

An update on all the new tanks

Started by mysterysnail, October 25, 2015, 07:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysterysnail

So its been a while since I've posted. I did the diy aquarium background with mostly success, but a few fatalities... diy background #2 I shared on another forum, but will post here someday soon, and have since added a few tanks. So here is a list and pics of each of the current tanks i have on the go.

For those thinking of getting into the aquatic hobby....dont. I've only been at this for 4 months and have a tank in every bedroom and on every floor......
In all honesty though I love my new found passion, and enjoy learning more everyday. Thank you to the members of the OVAS community and forum for your help and support

mysterysnail

So starting off with tank #2. It was my firat tank for me, and has had lots of ups and downs, with my kribensis deaths(crushed behind background), and random nigriventris slaughter (all 3 mysteriously died) I now apear to have a good balance and all fish seem healthy and happy.
30 gallon with aquaclear 30 and national geographic light
Anibias, amazon sword, java fern
2 bolivian rams
8 harlequin rasboras
2 scisortail rasboras
3 amano shrimp
1 ghost shrimp
1 nerite snail

mysterysnail

Next will be the first tank we bought and set up for my son. Its a fairly basic. No live plants, simple decorations that we keep charging our minds on and replacing. Tank water is always crystal clear and have not had a single un-natural death. (Excluding the shrimp eaten by the fish)
The simple community
10 gallon with aquaclear 20 filter, heater and bubble light wall
3 dalmation platies all male
2 dimintus crayfish
1 coolest black mystery snail

mysterysnail

Third up is the 55 gallon tank i inherited from my dad. It came with a 12 year old 18" pleco that had no biseness being in that small a tank. He did not adjust well to the move and sadly passed away. I spend about a month setting up this tank and making the background, choosing my fish, setting up the rocks, picking the sand. And i love the way it came together. I will most likely spend most of my future time on this tank as i still need to make a diy sump and overflow box.
The awesome background came from a members post here from a few years ago.

55 gallon african malawi mbuna tank
Caribsea african sand, and aquaclear 70 filter
4 msobo magunga (pseudo or maylindia depending who u ask)
6 ps. Acei yellowtail
Will be adding a third species eventually

mysterysnail

Next is a brand new addition to the family. We happened to go to a garage sale on the weekend and got some awesome tanks and equipment at an amazing price. This was one of the freebies that came with it.
5 gallon beta tank (the wifes tank and a great way to get them involved with your obsession)
Though explaning why you cant leave the food in, why it does need a filter, and why a 1 gallon is not ideal, and "yes hunny your beta lasted 3 years in a 1 gallon getting 3 beta pellets a day, but how about we treat him like we actually like him" all has me pulling hy hair out.....but i digress
5 gallon crown beta tank.....currently no filter.

mysterysnail

There is 1 ten gallon tank left to post which will get a cherax destructor blue crayfish, but not done setting it up.
Thanks again all for the posts, interest, and support

sas

All great tanks, thanks for taking the time to post them. You certainly have been bitten by
MTS lol.