New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

T8 LEDs

Started by Rumble Fish, November 15, 2015, 06:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumble Fish

I decided to try the T8 LEDs.  I was already using a 4 foot 2 tube shop light with T12 (40w soft white) to illuminate my 75g tank.  The LEDS are listed as 17w/32w replacement cool white 4000k 2100 lumens.  Its a  low tech setup and I've never had any problems growing java fern, vals, crypts, and lotus with the original tubes.  The bulbs I was running were VERY old so I figured it was time to put in some new ones.  I'd have preferred 'Daylight' 6500K intensity but this is what was there was.

The water in the tank itself is about 18'' deep and the lights are about 6'' over the water.  I'll have to rebuild the hood at some point as it was originally from my 55g so the footprint isn't the same and it being supported with 2x4s.  That being said I'll probably keep the new light setup similar in design when I get around to it

My initial reaction is good and TBH I can't see much of difference  over the old T12s.  I did have an extra set of regular T8s (32w 6500K 2550 lumens) that we use in the kitchen that I popped in for a quick comparison and I swear the LEDs look brighter and cast a  better light overall!  But as long as the plants keep growing I'll be happy  8)
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish