New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Siamese Algea Eaters

Started by Caitiepi, November 21, 2015, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitiepi

Hello!
I am curious if either your Innes road location or the Kanata centrum location ever get in Siamese Algea Eaters?

Thank you!
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

sanny

If you dont get a response soon enough you might have to call either location. Another fish similar to the Siamese algae eater which has gained more popularity is there cousins the flying fox. The Innes location has these available. Cheers

Caitiepi

Thanks Sanny, I'm looking specifically for the Siamese Algae Eater, not the Flying Fox. I know right now that the Kanata location does not have any, other than in one of the employee tanks that's there. I'll try giving the Innes road location a call at some point today to see if they have/get them in.

Most appreciated!
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

Jody

Hi,
I know that a shipment of them came in on Friday at Innes. Now, as a disclaimer, I have not checked them yet myself, so can't say 100% that they are SAEs, as some times they ship flying foxes or other similar fish.

Give us a call tomorrow and I will let you know.

Jody

wolfiewill

I've been in the Kanata store this week and they had the 'new' version of Siamese Algae eater which looks a little different but eats the same things. It's Crossocheilus reticulatus. I have several and I like them very much. They are typical SAE in that they are always grazing, always alert and poking around. And I don't think they will get quite as big as the SAEs we've seen around here, namely Crossocheilus longei, C. altrilimes and perhaps the C. citripinnis. But as you can see, this 'SAE' is easy to differentiate fromt the others. Apparently, we rarley see the real C. siamensis. See these links:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-reticulatus/
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/calling-all-siamese-algae-eater-owners.192330/
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/65103-Crossocheilus-siamensis-%28Common-name-%E2%80%93-Siamese-Algae-Eater%29-%28%29
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

I came across this thread awhile back that I found helpful. Based on this it looks like my four are the langei type, based on their size and side markings, but I find they also like to eat moss.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/which-crossocheilus-siamensis.19176/
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on November 23, 2015, 12:49:00 AM
.... but I find they also like to eat moss. http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/which-crossocheilus-siamensis.19176/

I have the suspicion that they are learning that from each other. I had several SAEs in different tanks and in only one did the Java moss get eaten. I put all of the SAEs into my 300 (they were getting too big for the smaller tanks) and after about a month the one that ate Java moss died. But even after that the Java moss was still repeatedly eaten to a thin skeleton by the remaining SAEs, who never ate it until they were placed in with the one who did. Maybe there is another explanation, but....
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Kelly

How big do they get, I had a couple of Chinese algae eaters in a tank before and although they did a great job of eating the algae they grew to about 7 inches and were too fast which disturbed the tank when they chased each other. I would like a smaller fish that does a good job controlling the algae. I have Oto cats but they aren't keeping up. 
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

lucius

Not sure but the OP never really mentioned if she wanted SAE's for algae control.  I can check tomorrow since I need pick up some stuff at BA's east.

sanny

Bristlenose plecos do a great size. They grow to only about 4-5". I like the albino varient. Keep an eye out on the classifieds people always sell them in groups for a reasonable price.

Kelly

I bought some today at Big Al's East, $3.99 each. They're small about 2 inches.

lucius

Quote from: Kelly on November 25, 2015, 06:57:24 PM
I bought some today at Big Al's East, $3.99 each. They're small about 2 inches.

You must have gotten the last ones.  I only saw the silver flying foxes that wolfiewill linked.

Caitiepi

I did see the Crossocheilus reticulatus, actually the reason I went over to the tank was because the picture that they had with them was of the Siamese Algea Eater. Unfortunately I am stubborn and want two SAE's. I love the look of them! I like the Flying Foxes, but still prefer the SAE. I don't need them for algae control.
This weekend I'll drop by the Innes road location and have a peek.
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

sanny

I was at Big Als in kanata and saw a 4" Siamese algae eater that came in as trade in. Its in one of the front tanks next to the Discus.

Caitiepi

Oh ya? If only there were two :p. I definitely want two, and hopefully similar in size to my Denison barbs which are only about 2.5-3".
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

Kelly

Quote from: lucius on November 25, 2015, 09:50:58 PM
You must have gotten the last ones.  I only saw the silver flying foxes that wolfiewill linked.
They had a few more left after I bought my 4, i'd say at least 10.

wolfiewill

I bought five this afternoon from the BA's in Kanata.... Crossocheilus reticulatus. They have lots of them and just had a shipment of Oto cats yesterday as well (Ed said to wait before purchasing the Otos, a few days - I'm giving it a week). The reticulatus are terrific and I think they're smaller than the SAEs we've had to date (C. langei, C. altrilimes, etc). I've got a bunch of them and they certainly don't grow as fast as the C. langei/altrilimes I've been buying in the past. Now that I've got some, I'd prefer them 'cause of their appearance.

Caitiepi

Funny enough, wolfiewill that's the reason I'm so stubborn about getting my hands on real SAEs. I saw them and instantly wanted them!
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

wolfiewill

Quote from: Caitiepi on December 02, 2015, 05:51:02 PM
Funny enough, wolfiewill that's the reason I'm so stubborn about getting my hands on real SAEs. I saw them and instantly wanted them!

So what is the real SAE? Crossocheilus siamensis is the 'real' SAE, but research online indicates that we rarely see that species in NA any more. We are usually getting C. altrilimes, C. langei, or possibly C. citriprinnis. I was in BAs several years ago looking for some SAEs and in the tank were two odd balls. I asked to purchase them as a lark with the other SAEs and was thrilled when I realized that they were C. reticulatus. They are alleged to do eat everything the other SAEs do in terms of eating algae, but they have different coloration. Here is a link to one of the articles I found to help differentiate the SAEs with the horizontal strip. The reticulatus has no strip and so is very easy to identify.

Caitiepi

Ha ha yes, I should have been more specific when I said real SAE's- in a perfect world, I'd be getting two Crossocheilus Siamensis but my research has indicated the same. What I am looking for are two Crossocheilus Langei.
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid