New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Baby badis!

Started by Zoe, December 07, 2015, 03:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

I was so excited to see this little dude yesterday, and wanted to share! He's almost a cm long so hopefully no longer at risk of being eaten. Seems to the only one, but my tank is so full of moss, who knows!

mm

sas

Congrats, I bet there are more.

daworldisblack

Congrats! Exciting news indeed!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Jellyanne

:) Congrats!
Which kind of badis is it?
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

Zoe

Quote from: Jellyanne on December 08, 2015, 06:15:00 AM
:) Congrats!
Which kind of badis is it?

Thanks! It's a scarlet badis baby (dario dario).

sidarnold

That is great news. May I ask where you got your males and females from?

Zoe

Quote from: sidarnold on December 08, 2015, 12:41:42 PM
That is great news. May I ask where you got your males and females from?

I got them from Critter Jungle. I have about 5-6 in my tank I think. One is a MALE, very red. The rest are female although one or two of them might be juvenile or betta males... not sure.

vic622

Congrats!
The first I've heard of anyone breeding them.
What are your tank conditions?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

Zoe

Quote from: vic622 on December 09, 2015, 04:02:00 PM
Congrats!
The first I've heard of anyone breeding them.
What are your tank conditions?

Thank you! He's still around, he's got his own little area and always comes out for breakfast/dinner. As yet I have ot seen any others.

From the limited reading I did, I don't think they are difficult to breed, but difficult to breed without separating the eggs from the parents (they will eat the fry apparently) and without providing live microscopic food.

My tank is 20g, about 4-5 months old now I think.
I use tap water, haven't tested the pH in a while. Ever so slightly acidic I think. 22C.
I do small water changes 2-3x/week
Fluval stratum mix substrate
Eheim canister filter
Satellite LED light
A couple otos, a dozen micro rasboras, assorted small shrimp (crystal reds, rillis, amano, crs etc) and snails
Loads and loads of moss and other plants
I lightly dose with flourish excel and API leaf zone every 2-3 days.
I feed microworms 2x a day, as well as daphnia and bloodworms, shrimp/algae pellets a few times a week.

I attached a pic of the tank. I think the key is loads of dense cover from the pellia and mosses and not having very many fish or any "big" fish.

Zoe

There's more! I see three about this size (tiny, but big enough to not be dinner) and I would not be surprised if there's more hiding in the moss.  :-*

vic622

Awesome & congratulations!
They are still my favourite micro-fish, especially in a tank filled with lots of moss.
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

touchofsky

Congratulations!  It will be fun to see them grow.

Zoe

Quote from: touchofsky on February 07, 2016, 06:10:40 PM
Congratulations!  It will be fun to see them grow.

It's been a lot of fun! They tend to stay in the same spot when they are fry, so they are easy to find. Then as they get bigger they get braver and explore bigger parts of the tank and it makes so proud! The second picture is my older baby (the one in the first photo of this thread). I feel like they grow really slowly. The older baby is almost the same length as the adults now, but much less heavy-bodied.

exv152

Congrats on the badis badis babies. The 20g rimless tank looks real nice, glad you're able to put it to good use!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Zoe

Quote from: exv152 on February 08, 2016, 09:31:47 AM
Congrats on the badis badis babies. The 20g rimless tank looks real nice, glad you're able to put it to good use!

Thanks! I love that tank, it's perfect!