New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to buy r0/di unit?

Started by MarkD, December 18, 2015, 02:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkD

I'm getting back into SW and in need of an RO/DI unit.  Who carries them locally?

Herstead

I am pretty sure Marinescape sells them and Big Al's too not sure about others.

One thing to make sure is that it has the carbon blocks for chloramines if you are on Ottawa city water.

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Dxpert

I'm not convinced you need one. The guys at Marinescape told me they just use tap water.

GuyFawkes

Aqua valley east and west may have them. Big als and marinescape should as well.

I use tap water. With conditioner and my water is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gupfish

I use tap water and prime for years now. seems fine. Ottawa water is pretty clean.

Herstead

I have heard a lot of people just use Ottawa tap water as well, but since we wanted a RO unit for good tasting drinking water it seemed like a good idea to do it for the fish as well.

-Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

veron

I would use one for sure and always have for long term Reef tank success. You can split the DI part with a small valve as you do not want to drink the water after the DI section.
Ottawa's water may be cleanish, but Fluoride, Chloramine, phosphates and so on. are not good. If you go fish only saltwater then maybe but once you get into full blown Reefing then what is a few more $$$$$ for water quality.

Fish stores move corals in and out quickly so it wouldn't be cost effective for them to use RO/DI units.

NaCl_Nano

Not local but I got mine from Aquasafecanada.com there in British Columbia. Right now they have 25% off as well till Dec 25

Darth

MarkD

Thanks for the help everyone (took me a while to respond).  I ended up getting one from Marinescape... That way if I have any issues, I can get warranty parts through them and not have to deal with shipping etc.  Plus I like supporting local..and they are good guys.