New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Are African cichlids known to be escape artists?

Started by dark_rain, January 23, 2016, 12:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark_rain

I have an old 100 gallon tank, with no lid, and no cross brace piece up top, that I would love to use for my cichlids. Problem is, I want to be able to use a nice light and not have them jump out. Having a glass top made or finding one to buy is difficult because this tank is missing the cross brace. Any idea what I may be able to do here? I'm not a very handy person, so I can't exactly build stuff either. I don't want the Peacocks to wind up on my floor :/ Any ideas what I may be able to do for a lid? Outside measurements are 72 by 19.5 and it does have a track inside the lip.
90 Gallon low-tech planted tank (Anubias, Java Ferns, Crypts)

55 Gallon planted starting from scratch w/ Eco-Complete

Al

I am assuming you want a closed top so...
You could get some glass cut cheaply and run sliding glass tops in an E-track used for this purpose IF the track inside the lip has enough width to safely sit the tracking in ~ 3/8" needed.
You could also buy some Plexiglas sheets to fit and have one overlap the other by about 6" in length and just slide the top panel over the lower to open and feed. The acrylic will bow, however, given that to keep pricing reasonable you're going to get pretty thin stuff. You can help diminish the bowing by cementing some 1" strips across the top - the 1" strips vertically the length or width of the cover.

If you don't want to close it in, you could just use a piece of fluorescent light diffusor and cut it to size. This option will mean a lot of evaporation but many folks run open top tanks. If not familiar with the light diffusor it comes in 2 x 4 panels and is a grating type finish with 1/2" squares. It's called Plaskolite Suspended Ceiling Light Panel at HD @ $15. If you want some free and are close to Greely, I can provide some to you as I have some laying around.

dark_rain

Thank you for the offer, I may wind up taking you up on it (or at least using your idea).

I called BA's and even found a glass top that would fit, but because it is 2 pieces and my tank has no middle support at the top, it would basically fall right in :/ I've seen youtube videos on making your own, but the tanks always have the middle support that mine lacks.

I've explored the plexi glass solution before and nobody wants to cut it, because its prone to cracking.

bitterman

Why not get a glass piece cut to be your middle brace and silicon it in place?

Bruce

dark_rain

would it not have to be pretty thick to support a canopy? and if so, would I not have to shim the sides as well so the canopy would sit flat? Or am I missing something completely lol.

btw thanks to everyone trying to help out.!!

lucius

I think bitterman is suggesting you make your own middle support so that you can use glass tops you available at BA's.

dark_rain

I understand what he is suggesting, but at around 19 inches in length (front to back of my tank) the glass middle brace would have to be fairly thick to support the middle of the glass canopy, would it not?

bitterman

I would use 3/8 to 1/2" thick glass

This gives you the idea
http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/03/aquarium-silicone.html

Note the glass support goes under the black tank rim such that the glass top will be in the same position as always.

Note the important part about lowering the water level....

Bruce

dark_rain

dbailey

I would use aluminum L channel.  Easier to work with than glass...  2 pieces put back-to-back across the width of the tank gives you a pair of strong supports for whatever you choose to use for a top.  You can buy the stuff at home depot, home hardware, lowes, etc...  Cut it with a cheap hobby saw.
--
Doug

dark_rain

Bruce, how wide do you think the brace should be? I can't tell from the pic how wide theirs is

bitterman

I would say 4" (3/8" to 1/2" thick)should be lots. Might get away with 3" but that's less silicon area to hold, so I would go with 4"

Bruce

dark_rain

Mike L

Missed this and might be too late. What are the demesions  of this tank. I have an old perfecto 3 foot dual light canopy  you can have glass on the sides and canopy in the middle.  If it's for cichlid would be more then enough light.

dark_rain

72" by 19.5" but I think I may just part ways with this old tank, and keep the 90 I so recently sank a whole bunch of money into. The cichlids seem to like it just fine anyway!

Mike L

The covers I have are for a standard 125. If this works they are your if you want then.

dark_rain

Thank you very much for the offer, it really is appreciated...but I think I will have to pass. At this point, it's only really being kept going until I find my Black Ghost knife a new home..