New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fishroom finishing - a new start

Started by tanksalot360, January 26, 2016, 05:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanksalot360

Hello,
Where my fishroom is planned, I have discovered that there is only 1 electrical outlet. The fishroom is also planned in the same room as the electrical panel, which makes the job a little easier. But I presume I should be making all the necessary steps to reduce moisture in this room at the same time. I'm presently looking for someone certified to install approximately 6-8 electrical outlets, some being GCFI. This would be followed by drywall or if there are suggestions as to what to hang for walls, I'm all ears. I have small dehumidifier, but was also considering planning for a bathroom fan.
Please let me know if anyone on the forum here does this kind of work or any contributions you can make to make this fishroom rock!

tanksalot360

Well, thought I'd post a few journal pictures up here to show how things have turned out.
Before:
Electrical: ended up with 4 new independent 15 amp outlets.
Walls: credit to Mike L on the forum
Floor: needed 2 bags of skim coat levelling before installing vinyl and rubber base
Cabinets: to hide electrical panel and RO unit

I picked up a barrel for water storage.

Where are the tanks?! I'm almost there, I can start filling tanks soon. But that I'll save for another post :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dxpert

Looks like a fantastic space! Well done. What will you be keeping in your tanks?

charlie

Like the progress Liam.
I can see a Plantacholics in the works ;)

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

wolfiewill

I've done that and had a terrific electrician do all the work but we did the whole basement and so a contractor was hired. Sadly, he won't do little jobs. They did a terrific job though. Thompson Electric I believe the name is. If you have enough work they may be enticed.

Hey, Rah. You should do something like that in your basement. With all the money you've got, you could decorate with gold leaf and velvet paintings of underwater things, like fish and mermaids and such. What do you say?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

tanksalot360

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The plan is to keep a variety of smaller species such as apistos, Nannacara, shrimp, Neolamprologus, some different pevicachromis-types, perhaps some Limia livebearers, and I'll be growing plants (of course). All the tanks will be 20-30 gallons and right now there are matten filters for the first 5 tanks.

I'll be looking for fry when the tanks are cycled.

tanksalot360

lucius

I smell a Plantaholics Meeting at Liam's place later this year.  :P

tanksalot360

Air pump arrived and I put together a manifold to serve 10 matten filters and 4 sponge filters.
Pondmaster AP-20 (super quiet) replaced the 3 air pumps that were running 5 mattens and 2 sponges. I have 2 outlets as relief - a lot of air from this new pump!
3/4" conduit & airline taps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanksalot360

Organized airline & cables.

tanksalot360

Another corner of the room, which puts the tank count at 16 (if these little ones count!)

charlie

Thanks for the update Liam, can`t wait for ..................

Liam`s plantaholics  ;D

matttimms49

thats a great fish room. May I ask what you keep in the two small tanks? are they 2.5 gal?

tanksalot360

Okay, yes...plantaholics can tour my place...still some finishing touches to be done but isn't there always!

Matttimms49....yes, they're 2.5 gallon, with mineralized dirt and capped substrate. It has taken a few water changes to get things under control. Shrimp culls (wild type) on the right, empty on left-plants & snails. Future plans might include guppy or platy fry, but there are not a lot of fish that would be suitable long-term.

lucius

Holy, looks more like a fish store instead of a fish room.  8)

Jody

Looks great Tanks!

We will have to do tours of each other's fishrooms at some point. :)

Jody

tanksalot360

Just received 3x 20w led floodlights which I'll use to light the remaining tanks on the top row of the rack. Very bright ~6000k, and I was able grab them for less than 10$ea pre-wired with a plug.

It should be interesting to see if plants like it.
Thanks for looking!

tanksalot360

lucius

I had a chance to check out Liam's fish room a few weeks ago and he's done a great job setting everything up.  8)