New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dwarf Emerald Rasbora: Anyone?

Started by wolfiewill, February 06, 2016, 10:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

Does anyone have any experience with Dwarf Emerald Rasboras in acid conditions? I want a small colourful fish for a 15 gallon planted tank. The pH is down to 5.5, GH is about 6 degrees, KH is zero, TDS about 200 ppm (using Equilibrium), and the tank is very brightly lit. Water circulation is moderate. I don't need them to breed, just to thrive and be comfortable in the tank. There are some available now and although I originally thought about getting Celestial Pearls Danios, the Rasboras may be a better fit.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 06, 2016, 10:53:27 AMDoes anyone have any experience with Dwarf Emerald Rasboras in acid conditions? I want a small colourful fish for a 15 gallon planted tank. The pH is down to 5.5, GH is about 6 degrees, KH is zero, TDS about 200 ppm (using Equilibrium), and the tank is very brightly lit. Water circulation is moderate. I don't need them to breed, just to thrive and be comfortable in the tank. There are some available now and although I originally thought about getting Celestial Pearls Danios, the Rasboras may be a better fit.

Yes, I do, and if you don't mind having fish that hide all the time then you're fine. Otherwise they never come out, except to eat and even then it's very limited. They remind me of chili rasboras, pretty much the same behaviour you would see with any micro rasbora. That said, they will come out a tiny bit more if you introduce a school of dither fish. Nice fish but I'm a bit let down by their skittish nature.

Also they'll do fine in a wide range of water parameters from what I can tell. Mine are kept at about 6.7 pH with no KH and ~ 220ppm TDS.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Yes, I now remember you telling about them. What do you suggest? I've set up the Celestials at Got Fish and they needed a dither fish too didn't they?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Zoe

Quote from: exv152 on February 06, 2016, 02:48:46 PM
Yes, I do, and if you don't mind having fish that hide all the time then you're fine. Otherwise they never come out, except to eat and even then it's very limited. They remind me of chili rasboras, pretty much the same behaviour you would see with any micro rasbora. That said, they will come out a tiny bit more if you introduce a school of dither fish. Nice fish but I'm a bit let down by their skittish nature.

I can't speak to the emeralds but I have chili rasboras and they don't hide at all, in fact they are the most active, visible fish in my tank.  They have very non-threatening tankmates which might help.

vic622

Have you considered Emerald Eye (eye-spot) Rasbora, Rasbora dorsiocellata?
They are a quiet,upper tank, schooling rasbora that won't hide and will stay close to the same size as the dwarf emeralds.
Critter Jungle gets them in when they are available.
I've got a school of about 20 in my tank as dithers.
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

exv152

Denis Wong speaks directly to CPDs & dither fish in this video. Check out his other videos too, you'll like his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJTKuNjl-g
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

So the Celestial Pearl Danios would be the right choice provided there's a dither fish. The Forktail blue-eye in the video looks terrific but can grow to 2.5 inches (providing I can find them), and would be too big for a 15 g tank. Do you guys have experience with any other dither fish that would be as small as the CPD?

exv152

I've had success with lyretail guppies (as dithers) which only grow to about 1.5".

The whole micro fish setup is quite the popular thing nowadays, and I must admit, I get a lot out of my 25g with chillis, strawberries, pheonix and emerald green rasboras.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 06, 2016, 07:20:07 PM
Yes, I now remember you telling about them. What do you suggest? I've set up the Celestials at Got Fish and they needed a dither fish too didn't they?

For a 15 Gallon, a nice group of Chilli or Strawberry Rasboras would look nice. You'd need a sizable number of either since they're small - you'll find the Strawberry Rasboras stay together closer a a group, of the two. Another smaller species I am enamoured with is the Ember tetra. Amazing colour and really pop against green foliage. A recent one on the scene that would be neat to try are the Kubotai Rasboras as well.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

mm

CJ had some beautiful kubotai rasboras for sale.

wolfiewill

Quote from: mm on February 08, 2016, 01:25:22 PM
CJ had some beautiful kubotai rasboras for sale.

These guys are absolutely gorgeous! But, alas, they get too big for a small tank. Up to 2 to 3 inches. I'm looking at Chili Rasboras at the moment. Anyone have some experience with them?

mm

I have around 30 in my 90 gallon tank. They are easy to keep but very hard to breed, at least for me. They do better in soft acidic water. I keep them with  a pH of 5 and around 60ppm TDS but they would be fine in plain Ottawa tap water. I also have raspberry rasboras (Boraras naevus) in a separate tank with similar water parameters and they regularly (seasonally) breed for me . Let me know if you have any specific question.

daworldisblack

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 19, 2016, 10:32:06 AM
These guys are absolutely gorgeous! But, alas, they get too big for a small tank. Up to 2 to 3 inches. I'm looking at Chili Rasboras at the moment. Anyone have some experience with them?

They're microrasboras Greg, so I doubt they're gonna get to 2", let alone 3". Max i've read is 2cm. It would be perfect for a small aquarium. I've kept Chilli's for years - pretty easy in Ottawa waters. They get a nice deep red. Some others have said their's were shy but mine are out and about usually. I had a scool of about 30 at one point. Down to about 12 or so now and they hang out with the Ember Tetras and Strawberry Rasboras. Most times they're off on their own scattered around the tank.

exv152

I've had a small group of chilies for quite some time now. They're gorgeous fish, the males turn an intense crimson red. Probably the nicest micro rasbora, nicer than emeralds IMO.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 19, 2016, 02:04:30 PM
They're microrasboras Greg, so I doubt they're gonna get to 2", let alone 3". Max i've read is 2cm. It would be perfect for a small aquarium. I've kept Chilli's for years - pretty easy in Ottawa waters. They get a nice deep red. Some others have said their's were shy but mine are out and about usually. I had a scool of about 30 at one point. Down to about 12 or so now and they hang out with the Ember Tetras and Strawberry Rasboras. Most times they're off on their own scattered around the tank.

I was referring to the kubotai rasboras. Online sources and Jason at CJ agreed in that they get 2 to 3 inches. But you and Eric are selling me on the Chilli rasboras. They are also reputed to be fairly confident on their own as well. I really don't want them hiding all the time, and they apparently don't run off like some of the others, and they like a low pH and hardness.

charlie

Greg , i`m not sure where you guys are getting the 2-3 inches from.
but seriously fish is saying 15-20mm which converts to 0.590551 -  0.787402 inches, which is the same for the chili.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/microdevario-kubotai/

wolfiewill

Ok. We have a problem with the references. Jason at Critter Jungle agreed with the following web sites, and these sites specify 5 to 6 cm, 6 cm (2.4 inches) and 3 to 4 inches respectively.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Furcatus.htm
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/blue-eye/forktail.php
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Pseudomugil-furcatus-forktail-rainbowfish-211075

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 22, 2016, 08:28:27 AM
Ok. We have a problem with the references. Jason at Critter Jungle agreed with the following web sites, and these sites specify 5 to 6 cm, 6 cm (2.4 inches) and 3 to 4 inches respectively.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Furcatus.htm
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/blue-eye/forktail.php
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Pseudomugil-furcatus-forktail-rainbowfish-211075
There seem to be a problem of what fish you are referring to, every one of those links you posted has nothing to do with"kubotai rasboras"

exv152

Hey Greg, If you're interested in the chilli rasbora check out this article, this article is what got me hooked on this particular fish.  http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2713
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on February 22, 2016, 08:33:45 AM
There seem to be a problem of what fish you are referring to, every one of those links you posted has nothing to do with"kubotai rasboras"

Lol Greg you're drunk! Go home!  :P Yeah you're referencing Forktail Rainbowfishes - those will get a little bigger. If you liked those you may also like : http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pseudomugil-gertrudae/ but both are bigger than the microrasboras like Chillis and Kubatais.