New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My first saltwater build. 65G FOWLR (for now)

Started by mysterysnail, February 13, 2016, 10:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysterysnail

Dam i hope not. They bunch up in the dark and go completely flat when the lights are on. Guy at marinescape said some form or ricordea. Ill take more recent pics tonight

mysterysnail

So the more i look at pics of majano the less i think these are them. In all the pics i see they have longer ends that form a cup rather then a disc. All the ones on mune form discs. However these seem to spread quickly....
Heres more pics

DrReefer

Yupp from the last pictures you posted they do look like mushrooms :) great deal if you got those with the live rock! From the last pic I can see the elongated tentacles on the outside of the oral disc with minimal bubbles or tentacles in the middle. but your other pictures do show more bubbles/tentacles in the middle that look like a Yuma / ric mushrooms... Tough call tho !

spreading fast would lead to think mushroom also !

mysterysnail

So decided to post a pic of tonights test. Hadent been doing the nitrate test for a few days....(so much shaking required)
So amonia was still zero, and nitrite still zero and nitrate at 5 ppm. Doing my topoff water tonight and a 10% tomorrow. So far so good.
Also Dr reefer decent deal on the rock considering. I still paid extra 35 above the $/lb because of the green star but all in all im happy. The corals also seem to be doing well with the light so im happy.
Also i agree some of the rock is not as porous as i would like. I do have pumice in the hob for some extra media space. I will be adding hight as the tank develops and will use beter rock. In the meantime the big pieces work well as the base.

DrReefer

Great news !! i'd love to see those mushrooms under the actinics   ;D

mysterysnail

Ask and you shall receive my friend.
The fixture is a 4 bulb t5 but two spots dont work. I swapped the bulbs and put 2 blue in. There old bulbs but still look cool

DrReefer

Wonderful ! You have a nice white ring and you can also see the white lines going towards the mouth, great score for 35$ more :P Sometimes a ID goes better under different lighting as we can see the detailed patterns in the specimen. I love the look of t5's and if I could hang a fixture where I live (renting  :-\ ) I think I would sell my LED's and get a nice 8x24w ATI fixture  ::)

Let me know if you have a loose head on the substrate and would like to swap frags :)

Sharbuckle

Dont run the old bulbs too long. T5's need to be swapped every 9 months imo. +1 for frag swap. Mushrooms look cool.

mysterysnail

Thx starbuckle good point. I figure I'm going to either replace the t5 with led or move the pins for the 2 dead spots. I'll shift the working ones to one on each side and retrofit the middle with 40 or so 3w led's.
Bulbs seem pricy considering the frequency of replacement. 120 ish every 9 months adds up quick.

Would be happy to swap some frags once I'm more established for coral. For now I'm using regular IO salt, and dosing with fluval cal,mag,stro mix + alk. Will do IO reef crystals once I run out and move more into better dosing regime.
I'm looking forward to the OVAS auction. Maybe pickup skimmer/sump/lights/dosser.
Also interested to see what livestock they may have.