New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Berried S+ Crystal Reds

Started by sidarnold, February 15, 2016, 12:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidarnold

After multiple bouts of frenzied mating swimming in my crystal tank (15 gal.) with no discernable results I had given up hopes of finding any lucky shrimp. Told Peter Lim that on Saturday morning when he was over at my place on Society business. Low and behold this Sunday morning some of the red crystals were on the front glass of the aquarium and I could see that 3 females were berried (brown coloured eggs). Fathers could be the SS+ Crystal Blacks, S+ Crystal Reds or the Golden Bees. Time will tell.

I cycled the aquarium for 3 months before introducing shrimp. I added BioDigest religiously during this period to inoculate the bacteria culture in the tank. Substrate is Amazonia to a depth of 1 cm. TDS is 240 micro Siemens. I used store bought distilled water which I re-mineralized with Bio Culture SMW (purchased from Shrimp Fever). Twice a week I add Bacter AE, AminoVita-P, Beta Glucans and Biozyme. Filtration is a large, cube-shaped sponge filter with a powerhead for strong flow. I have almond and banana leaves in the tank and cholla wood as hiding places. Some java moss also.

I have green algae on 3 of the sides of the aquarium. The shrimp graze on this as well as the substrate and the sponge filter.  I have added food pellets maybe 5 times in 10 weeks. There is enough bacteria in the tank for them to graze on - they poop all the time, regularly molt and have grown considerably.

LED lights are on for 12 hrs. per day. The tank top is completely sealed and I have not had any water losses due to evaporation. No heater in the tank. Bee shrimp originate from cool water mountain streams in China / Hong Kong and do not like temperatures over 22 degrees Celsius.

I will update if I see viable shrimpets.

robt18

All they needed was an OVAS exec visit! Maybe you guys can come hang around my queen arabesque plecos for a while...

Congrats on the next step towards a large colony of crystals.

daworldisblack

Congrats! Always exciting to find berried mommas.. you'll find yourself constantly checking to see that they still have them for the next little while, waiting on the lil critters!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Jellyanne

Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

sidarnold

An update - crystal red and crystal black shrimpets are in the tank. Looked in the tank this past Thursday after no observations for 2 weeks (sick at home) to see crystals wandering around (I estimate 30 shrimpets in the tank). At least 2 size classes present so 2 different hatches. Black is the dominant trait in crystals so about 66% crystal black and 33% crystal reds. Fathers were my SS+ crystal blacks and mothers my S+ crystal reds.

What made the difference from my unsuccessful attempts a year ago is substrate (ADA Amazonia) and consistent water quality (pH 6 and TDS of 250 microseimens).

I also use 4 different supplements mainly to enhance bacterial populations in the sponge filter and as a food source.

I put shrimp tablets maybe once a month - other than that they feed on bacteria in the tank.

Jellyanne

Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

sidarnold

Saw my first Golden Bee shrimpet in the tank this morning.

sidarnold

Have not updated in 10 months. About 200 crystal red, crystal black and golden bees/snow whites. Different size classes and grades (S, SS+, SSS+ and SSSS). They breed quite regularly. Four months ago the Blue Bolts showed up unexpectantly (sky blue front end with blue legs and white tails). They are about 12-13mm long at the moment (3 individuals, no idea on sex yet) and they will be a focus of breeding experiments this summer (I hope to propagate them in some numbers eventually). BBs originate from Snow Whites. Two months ago another colour mutation showed up in the tank - black overall with 2 small white segments and probably derivied from the crystal blacks. Again will be the focus of another breeding experiment late in the summer (7-8 mm long at this point).

Consistent water parameters is the key and this is derived from a stable substrate (Amazonia), completely sealing the tank to prevent evaporation and a power-head on the sponge filter. I have Java Moss in the tank along with chola wood and I regulary add banana leaves for their medicinal qualities. Lights are on 12 hours a day and I have green algae growth on 3 sides of the aquarium. Since they are bacteria grazers I add supplements to keep the bacteria population high in the tank. I do feed them once a day these last few months as with 200+ shrimp in a 15 gallon tank, everyone is "fighting" for substrate or glass to graze on.

Amazonia substrate lasts longer in Ottawa aquariums as the city tap water is soft with an acidic pH and therefore the substrate is not exhausted as readily as when used in Toronto aquariums where the city tap water is harder and with a higher pH. I have not changed out my substrate in 16 months and the pH of my shrimp tank water is below 6.

This spring and summer I will be setting up additional tanks for other varieties of Caridinia shrimp.

Sid Arnold

charlie

Yay!!, thanks for the update Sid, awesome job - now i know who to hit up for some shrimp  ;D

Dxpert

Great work on the little ones! Sounds like a great setup. A few pictures perhaps? Will you bring a few to the auction?

sidarnold

I will be bringing Crystal Blacks and Crystal Reds to the auction - 6 to 8 shrimp per bag. Remember that I raise them at a low pH - they will need to be housed in an established tank where pH is around 6 if you hope to breed them.