New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ghost shrimps compatability question

Started by fishy friend, February 19, 2016, 06:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishy friend

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing some ghost shrimp to add to my 50 gallon fresh water tank. There is currently 6 blue gourami, 4 cories, 2 Plecos, and 4 algae eater from petsmart. Would try be okay in this tank? Thank you very much for any advise.

daworldisblack

Your blue Gouramies will make quick snacks of them unfortunately. Wouldn't recommend it. They'll survive longer if there is good number of plants and hiding spots but they'll always be hiding. Slowly but surely however they'll get picked off.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

fishy friend

Thank you very much for the reply. Is there another type of shrimp that is bigger and does a good job cleaning/ scavenging that would be suitable?

Kelly

I have 2 Atyopsis Moluccensis, AKA Singapore Shrimp, Wood Shrimp, Flower shrimp, Bamboo Shrimp, Rock Shrimp and Marble Shrimp. They get about 3 - 4 inches long and are peaceful scavengers. I have them in a tank with Boesemani and Yellow Rainbows, Green Tiger barbs, Congo Tetra's, Cory's, Siamese Algae Eaters, Pearl Gourami's, German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams. None of the fish bother them as they roam around the tank scavenging. I got mine at Big Al's, I bought them a couple of months apart, one was labeled as Flower Shrimp and when I bought the second one it was labeled Rock Shrimp, they're the same. Very interesting to watch.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

fishy friend

Thank you very much Kelly. I will look into getting some of those shrimps.

lucius

There are some smaller crayfish you can get that would make good scavengers.  Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders and will eat whatever is coming at them.

Kelly

Both of mine roam the bottom of my 220 scavenging and also climb on plants or driftwood and catch whatever comes their way in the current as Lucius said, very neat shrimp to watch and they don't bother the fish at all.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.