New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

re-doing floors = Tank has to move

Started by Jean L, February 21, 2016, 07:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean L

Howdy folks,
Wondering if i could draw on experiences from my fellow members which has had the task of moving your tank because floors are being redone...

Pulling the vinyl and placing porcelain tile.
The tank is 35 gal hex  - as in my avatar.

Scenario 1 > drain - move the tank to temporary location / install flooring and replace the tank at same location
- we have concerns that the weight of the tank will crack tiles.

Scenario2 > drain - move the tank to NEW location where is would be sitting on hard wood floors..
-  concern here is that saltwater (water changes.. etc) will damage wood flooring fairly quickly

Any tips, comments, suggestion, experiences lived would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Jean L.

Mike L

The weight  of the tank will not clack a properly installed tile.  Are you doing the tiling or having it done. Second I doubt the wood floor would receive any damages as long as you mop up any water in a timely manner.  I assuming that you mop your hardwood on occasion as I do.  Never had an issue. I also have had a 30 gallon installed on  a hardwood floor for 4+ years no issue.

zenins

How does the stand or cabinet meet the floor ?

If there are 4 legs, then place a piece of 1/2 inch plywood just a bit larger than
the area defined by the 4 legs.
This plywood will distribute the weight across irregular or slightly uneven ceramic tiles,
or will prevent small dents in a wood floor.
You could always stain the plywood to blend in with the floor, make the non-fish spouse happier :)

Always level and shim a stand to prevent future problems ;)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards