New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Francois' egg saving method trial

Started by Jody, February 29, 2016, 11:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya Everyone,

So after the great talk from Francois at the last meeting, I decided to try out his egg saving method.
Last night I noticed that my Nannacara anomala have eggs again. My female hasn't been great at keeping her eggs around, either through negligence, just wandering off, or eating them herself. So I decided that since there was a good chance that they may not make it anyway, I took them out,  put them in a floating container, with a little sprig of java moss, and a ramshorn snail.
   Tonight, I checked them and they are still there.
    The only note is, that I would try to use smaller snails next time, as it knocked most of the eggs off the rock.
The eggs look good and clean however.
    I will keep you up to date on how it goes.
Jody

francois

Good luck.!
There was not much repport on ramshorn snails with eggs other than corydoras (many species), one aspidoras, one ancistrus, one fundulopanchax, and possibly one melanotaenia.
So your experimentation will of sure be of interest.
Fingers crossed.
Francois

Jody

Hi Everyone,

I did manage to get one nanacara fry from this attempt. This is mostly due to my error unfortunately. It was too large of a container, and just one large snail.

My second non corydoras attempt is working much better. I currently have about 30-50 just hatching angelfish eggs. They are in a small container (about 8" across) with about 9 snails. I carefully removed them from the leaf they were laid on, and removed some, but not all of the unfertilized eggs. The other eggs have stayed clean and have begun to hatch.

I think this is going to be a great method of hatching eggs. I am excited to try it on a fish with larger eggs, like a mouthbrooder, to see if this method will work in lieu of a tumbler.

Jody

Jody

Hi Everyone,

I noticed today that a second female P. nyererei was holding. This can't have been more than a few days, so I took the opportunity to pull her and strip her.
   There are 18 eggs in a small jar with a few red ramshorns, now to wait and see.

Jody

francois

Jody

So a quick update
The nyererei eggs still seem to be doing well.
However, tonight I came home and found that there were only 6 angelfish wigglers remaining. I have pulled the ramshorns from the tub.
Jody