New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cleaning Inline diffusers

Started by wolfiewill, March 15, 2016, 11:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

How do you guys clean inline diffusers? I'm trying to clean an old UpAqua in 20% bleach but don't know how long to soak it. This method works really well with the ceramic discs from the Fluval CO2 88 in tank diffusers, but I let them soak for at least 24 hours, usually several days. But the plastic on the UpAqua inline diffusers is my concern.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

When i used them , i did the same , but 100% bleach for about 30 mins. the caveat is that it is a PITA to rinse.
I never experienced any plastic issues.
Regards

wolfiewill

Wow. 100% bleach. You got more guts than I do. I tried 20% for 3 hours, and the plastic looks ok but you're right, it's tough to rinse. I have in soaking now. I'll leave it for a couple of days and shake, shake, shake it off, a couple of times each day.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

lucius

I seem to recall reading that you should use Prime to clean off the bleach.  Have you tried soaking it in metricide/excel instead?  This is what I usually do with my filter tubes and other algae covered parts.

wolfiewill

Quote from: lucius on March 15, 2016, 05:30:29 PM
I seem to recall reading that you should use Prime to clean off the bleach.

I've never used Prime on the Fluval discs. I rinse and soak 'till the bleach smell is gone but this may be harder to do on the in-line diffuser, so yah, that's a good idea. Thanks

Quote from: lucius on March 15, 2016, 05:30:29 PMHave you tried soaking it in metricide/excel instead?  This is what I usually do with my filter tubes and other algae covered parts.

I'm going to try to clean one by leaving it in position, removing the CO2 tubing and injecting Metricide into the cavity outside of the membrane. I'll replace the tubing and let the CO2 pressure force the Metricide into the tank when it comes on again. Has anyone tried this?