New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Unexpected fry, what do I do?

Started by LabRat, March 18, 2016, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LabRat

So I need a crash course in raising Cichlid fry, as I just found one in my tank hiding behind the filter intake... not sure what type, I've got Tropheus (morrii, I think), a Yellow Lab, and several Convicts.

From what I understand, the Tropheus are high-maintenance parents, so I doubt they would let a baby roam alone, so they seem unlikely.

My girlfriend is going to the local pet store for a breeder tank, but beyond that what do I need to know? I feel like a panicked new parent... what does this guy even eat?

Update: found 3 more.

rivermuse

Congrats on the fry! I'm no expert... I suggest go to Big Als or Critter Jungle (Carling ave near Food basics) and they sell food for fry. Good luck man, post some pics :)

Mike L

All cichlids usually look like the parents.  Colours  please to help.  A picture would be a big help.
Mike

gandsande4me

its likely Convicts.   They breed 10 times worse then rabbits.  I leave mine to there own with the parents in the tank and with other breeds sometimes.  if not soon you will have hundreds (naaay  thousands @ 50-250 babies per clutch).  I also don't mind the free food for the parents or others in the tank.  If your selling them small many others will buy them as feeders.   seriously the convicts I have had in the past are like a guppies on steroids.    Enjoy.  Don't waste money on fry food the parents take care till there large enough to annoy the parents then you will see them get thinned down.

Mike L

My thought too but the stripe are almost visible immediately.

Kelly

I raised Krib and Ram Fry on First Bites. You can buy it at Big Al's.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.