New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

plantacholics get together

Started by charlie, March 24, 2016, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biulu

I have about 6 people confirmed until now, not counting Luke. Looks like we can get a nice group together!

charlie

Quote from: Biulu on May 26, 2016, 11:31:56 PM
I have about 6 people confirmed until now, not counting Luke. Looks like we can get a nice group together!
Looking forward to this, thanks for coordinating the MTL end of this.

@ PM , sorry to hear you can`t make it, would have been a good opportunity to source your need for a 60 CM tank & possibly other stuff, since Luke is willing to offer a special discount for that day
Errol

pm

Quote from: charlie on May 27, 2016, 02:09:27 PM
@ PM , sorry to hear you can`t make it, would have been a good opportunity to source your need for a 60 CM tank & possibly other stuff, since Luke is willing to offer a special discount for that day
Errol

Ouch! talk about kicking a guy when he is down.  You have given me new incentive to try to find a sitter for the day... I knew that family would mess up important things like hobbies one day  :D

charlie

Guy`s , Elonore sent this message, please let`s hear your interest so we can firm things up.
QuoteI would like to try to get a tentative schedule together, especially the starting time and place (probably Aquasense).

And maybe something of a 20 minute theme before everybody starts shopping? What about plant substrates/substrate fertilisation? We could go from dirted to commercial substrates like fluorite and Luke could introduce his Chinese substrate, talking about root tabs, maybe even capping vs non-capping, mixing of substrates and the myths around it.

Are you guys interested in going to Aquarius? They have two very nicely scaped tanks there and a lot of nice smaller fishes that look great in planted tanks. I could also ask the owner if they can get in more 'planted tank' rarer species and if one of their staff could give a short introduction to several of these fish.

I am talking about fish like pseudomugil species, badis, microrasbora species, small loaches, some gobies etc.

Anyway, let me know what you think and when would be good for you

lucius

We seemed to be getting steered towards this Aquarius place so might as well include it.

tanksalot360

I'm interested but will need a ride. Is the plan still for the 18th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

missavgp

Are there any more details as to date and time for this? I am interested but it depends on family commitments whether or not I can make it.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

charlie

At this time it is suggested we leave Ottawa 7.00 7.30 on the 18th.
Visit Aquarius pet store, where Elonore is trying to coordinate  decent stock on livestock etc & a knowledgeable staff member to answer & educate us for about 1 -1.5 hrs.
Then to Aquasense, one suggestion is to have someone do a short presentation on substrates including dirt & any participant that would like to  do a short show & tell either with stills or video clips  of their tank or tanks.
The BBQ is going to be pot luck The Montreal hobbyist will coordinate , so that every one do not show up with adult beverages  ;), we will need someone to do likewise here - volunteers? further details will be coming soon.
How many are willing to drive their vehicles ? of course the passengers will be on the hook for gas cost  ;)
The more feed back i can get the faster things can be finalized.
Lets do this & have some fun.

missavgp

I would be interested in coming and I can drive (room for 3 more) if anyone needs a lift. It looks like there are some interesting fish at Aquarius.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

charlie

Quote from: missavgp on June 09, 2016, 05:23:56 PM
I would be interested in coming and I can drive (room for 3 more) if anyone needs a lift. It looks like there are some interesting fish at Aquarius.
Awesome! so far 2 cars -missavgb & wolfiewill any other?
The following have indicated a willingness to go:
lucius , wolfiewill, missavgp, exv152, daworldisblack,Zolta & myself. pm is a maybe?
If pm confirms soon, it would be 8 of us & 2 vehicles
Anyone else interested, please let us know by this weekend, of course this will require one more vehicle.
I want make it clear - this is an undertaking of the planted tank hobbyist as such, the club(OVAS) bears no responsibility for anything.
So far the folks in Montreal are fired up for this  gathering & is shaping up for a fun day.
Errol

lucius

I will be going but this will more of a shopping trip for me and I probably won't be staying for the BBQ afterwards.

pm

I will not be able to join you guys this time.   :(

Biulu

Hi guys,

Just sent a long PM to Charlie with more details for the day. Aquarius will try to order some nice rarer fish for us and an employee (Genevieve) will give a brief introduction to each of these fish so you know what you're getting into if they appeal to you.

When at Luke's (Aquasense) there will be a short presentation on providing nutrients through the substrate (so not through the water column). We have a projector and it would be great if you could bring some shots of some of your planted tanks and give a brief explanation about it and where you are planning on going with it (I asked the same from the Mtl participants).

Luke is working on some special discounts on that day and will communicate these to Charlie and me. And while you guys shop, we will try to get the BBQ going (weather permitting).

Gary will not participate in the day but will come by to bring Jody's gularis and probably grab a beer during the BBQ.

Any comments, suggestions are welcome. I have told the people here that we meet at Aquarius at 11.30 am.

Looking forward to it!

charlie

Thanks Biulu, i hope a few more planted folks will join us.
Sounds like a fantastic planted day ;) & augers well for hobbyist from both cities.
Errol

lucius

Will there be plants for sale?  ;)

charlie

exv152

This looks like a lot of fun, unfortunately I've got too much on the go at the moment and I won't be able to make the trip.
:'(
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: charlie on June 09, 2016, 05:39:34 PM
Awesome! so far 2 cars -missavgb & wolfiewill any other?
The following have indicated a willingness to go:
lucius , wolfiewill, missavgp, exv152, daworldisblack,Zolta & myself. pm is a maybe?
If pm confirms soon, it would be 8 of us & 2 vehicles
Anyone else interested, please let us know by this weekend, of course this will require one more vehicle.
I want make it clear - this is an undertaking of the planted tank hobbyist as such, the club(OVAS) bears no responsibility for anything.
So far the folks in Montreal are fired up for this  gathering & is shaping up for a fun day.
Errol
lucius , wolfiewill, missavgp,  daworldisblack,Zolta ,thanksalot & myself

charlie

Quote from: charlie on June 12, 2016, 05:02:25 PM
lucius , wolfiewill, missavgp,  daworldisblack,Zolta ,tanksalot & myself
Come on guys, lets get some action- out side of beverages of your choice, what will you bring for the pot luck/BBQ
I`m brining marinated chicken  & ready  for the BBQ
How about you?
who will like to show Ottawa`s tanks?, this can grow to bigger & better things for you planted tank folks, let`s make it a good one!
We would welcome more  participants.
Check out this post on another forum
QuotePlant enthusiasts get together in Montreal PROGRAMME
Post by Biulu Yesterday at 4:56 pm

+

Programme for the exchange with the Ottawa planted tank hobbyists on June 18.

11.30 meeting at Aquarius. They will be trying to get in some rarer fish that are great for planted tanks and we will be given a small introduction to these fish so you know what you are getting into.

From there we move on to Aquasense. There will be a short presentation on fertilisation of plants through the substrate.

Ottawa people will be bringing some pictures of their tanks and give an explanation on what they are doing, how they got there etc. Mtl participants are encouraged to bring an USB with their tanks. Also an excellent opportunity to get answers on issues with plants!

Then it is shopping time for those that want to. Aquasense will be having some special discounts that day, just for us!

And while you guys go around the store, we will get the BBQ up and running. We want to do it in the form of a potluck so, please confirm your participation and I will coordinate who brings what to avoid we only end up with six packs of beer or salads LOL. Errol will do the same for the Ottawa side.

I am starting off: I will bring sate ayam (chicken satay) with peanut sauce.

It is definitively possible to join us later or for some parts of the programme only. However let me know, especially if you want to be in the BBQ. Please confirm here on the forum whether you are coming or not.

Dxpert

I've got family in town this week so I can't make it. Have fun all.