New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquaponics: Live on TV

Started by tanksalot360, March 30, 2016, 12:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanksalot360

Years ago I removed the old tube from a retro TV and replaced it with an aquarium. The tank was freshwater for a couple years and then became my first nano marine tank. It sat empty again for a couple more years until now. Aquaponics is receiving a lot of attention in the media and there is a slew of videos on youtube that describe the benefit of this method of growing garden vegetables using fish wastes to provide macro nutrients, while in many cases also growing fish for consumption. This idea has inspired this project.

Some materials and a thick corrugated plastic top with 16 x 3-9/16" holes to fit 4" pots.

A wooden box wrapped around the 27x27" flood tray and holes were drilled for plumbing.

Corner matten filter.

All hooked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tanksalot360

Lighting for plant bed provided by a used AI hydra, mounted with PVC conduit.
  - while I would have preferred bent aluminium, this works and will look alright when painted.

Short legs.

Also cut longer legs for when the plants grow.

Using a bell siphon to drain and fill flood table while quiet one pump runs continuously.

Rocks and gravel.

Hydroton rinsed.

Pots are missing seeds...

Next step will be to directly seed with these pucks.

For the last 2 days it has been running. I've planted corkscrew val and wisteria in the lower tank and the dual T5s are on a 4 hour cycle.
The plan is to paint everything when the weather is a little nicer.

The way the system works right now is that the lower tank drains to half every time it fills the flood tray. I'm still not sure what fish will suit this the best. I would prefer a dirty South American cichlid, any suggestions? I was thinking T-bars could grow up in there.
If the constant tidal filling of the aquarium is a problem for the fish, I can always convert the bell siphon to a standard stand pipe, but then the roots of the flood table plants will require an air stone for oxygenation.

...tanksalot360 reporting LIVE from Ottawa ;)

tanksalot360

Alternanthera? - 1/2 planted emersed

Hygrophila angustifolia

Low tide.

Stocking: 5 black neons, 3 lemon tetra

Hoping for a silent cycle based on the plant mass. Added a powder bacterial concentrate for pond use to help with inoculation; the tank was cloudy for 12 hours then crystal clear.
Big Als has Bandit Acara and Critter Jungle has T-bar cichlids, both of which are candidates for this tank. Acaras may be nicer to the aquatic plants, but unsure.
5 terrestrial plant seeds will be placed in each rapid rooters and plant positions will be labeled and photographed.
All for now.

charlie

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

daworldisblack

This is really cool! Keep us posted on progress :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Herstead

I am really enjoying this project. Keep up the good work!

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Mike L

I've seen this setup  in action.  Very cool and creative.
Mike

tanksalot360

Thanks everyone!

Seeds are in 5/4/16

Green onions look like they'll come back up.

Now just waiting for sprouts.

tanksalot360

Knobs installed/FTS.

Dxpert

Amazing project. How is the progress coming along? Time for some more pictures?