New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pleco Babies!!!

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, April 06, 2016, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

I'm so excited!

My albino bushy nose plecos got busy, and now there are some happy fry in my tank! They're at the stage of feeding themselves, so I've been caught completely by surprise! With work I've been really busy so I've just been maintaining the tank - feeding, cleaning, lights on, lights off, but not really looking into the tank. I was cleaning my office today (which is where the tank sits in our house) and as I was on the phone saw movement, and voila! Babies!

I've counted 9 so far. That doesn't mean there isn't more. So excited to see them grow up. I figure they're probably a week or just over old. Can't wait to see them grow! :D

daworldisblack

Exciting indeed! Congrats!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

101DalmatianMollies

Update: there are at least 10 babies that I have counted at one time, and they are growing like weeds. Today I witnessed papa pleco hanging out in his cave and wiggling his body and fins - a quick Google search revealed that he is fanning more eggs!!!! Another cluster, likely from the second female, being tended to lovingly by dad.

What a good papa. Can't wait for the next batch!! May have to get rid of the cave for a short period whilst these two batches grow before the next one comes around.

A quick question: any tips on how to clean the tank without sucking up babies? Thanks! (Other than very carefully lol! I usually use a python siphon, but may go back to my manual to have more control over what I suck up)

bergenm

Manual siphon with your finger over the end to slow the flow - it will pick up the waste put leave the babies alone.
Michael

101DalmatianMollies

Ok great! Thank you! :) also I have 4 assassin snails in there, I apologize if this seems obvious, but should I remove them? I had put them in there to deal with a rams horn snail explosion (which they had cleaned up fabulously)

bergenm

Assassin snails won't bother the baby plecos, although I can't guarantee that they would not touch future clutches of eggs.
Michael

101DalmatianMollies

papa pleco kept everything under control it seems :) the second batch of eggs has hatched! :D

101DalmatianMollies

Oh my gosh are these babies little poopers! So much poop! Is it normal to have to clean the gravel what seems to be daily? So much poop!