New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Question about tank lids

Started by Caitiepi, April 13, 2016, 12:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitiepi

Hey all!
I have a time sensitive question: I'm about to buy a 90 gal aquarium (in the next couple days) but it only has a glass lid on one side. Any idea what the cost would be to replace the other side? Or would it be worthwhile to make one- I've seen some tutorials online on how to do that and what materials are required.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

lucius

I ran my 90 gallon with lids for a short period of time but ended up removing them as I prefer the open top and ease of access.  I've had a few jumpers but not enough to bother me.

What type of set up will you be doing?

Caitiepi

My worry isn't about the fish jumping out- mind you my Denisons are jumpy when startled but I have three curious cats who would definitely find their way in ha ha
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

Al

With no glass tops you'll see a lot more evaporation, especially with a 90G surface area. Evaporation will depend on humidity levels in the house, heat, surface agitation, etc. Evaporation and the needed top ups can be a plus as you are getting X gallons of fresh water into your system probably every couple of days. Then the question is do you want that humidity in the house - great maybe in the dry winter, not so great in the hot humid summer. If you air condition in the summer the air will be drier and increase evaporation. Evaporation will also cool the aquarium water requiring more output from your heater - if its a cool water tank, no issue, if its an 80+ tropical and you're heating in a 65 degree basement, big difference. I think a store bought lid for the half side would be pretty cheap, plus you'll get the hinging which isn't cheap to buy separately, let alone find it. You could also go sliding glass top, which would be simple and all you need is some E-tracking. Personally, I much prefer sliding glass tops as there is no wearing down of parts - the hinge on the standard hinged top always cracks with time. Either tops can be pulled off in 10 seconds for whatever access you might like, no difference between the two.
If you decide to do sliding glass tops, I'd be glad to give you the needed E-track lengths as I have plenty of it around.

Mike L

Agree with Al  on all points. I looked into diy a couple of years ago.  Not worth the time to save roughly 5 bucks.

Caitiepi

Thanks all for the input! I think I'll look for one in an LFS instead of going the DIY route.

Cheers!
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

lucius

Good points from Al for sure but having a planted tank, I don't like how the glass lids become dirty or fog up mitigating the light reaching the plants.  This is why in my previous post, I asked the OP what type of tank she would be running.

Best thing I guess is to get the lids and try it out for yourself.  I still have my lids (and no I don't plan to sell them) in case I ever decide to get out of planted tanks.

George2

Quote from: lucius on April 13, 2016, 07:24:19 PM
Good points from Al for sure but having a planted tank, I don't like how the glass lids become dirty or fog up mitigating the light reaching the plants.  This is why in my previous post, I asked the OP what type of tank she would be running.

Best thing I guess is to get the lids and try it out for yourself.  I still have my lids (and no I don't plan to sell them) in case I ever decide to get out of planted tanks.

Yes, I agree. Tank lids can significantly reduce the amount of light reaching plants. I like the way my tank looks without the lid, but I do see alot of evaporation.

I also find that I sometimes lose the odd fish or snail because they escape. I found a dried up neon tetra on my floor yesterday.  :(   Lids prevent that from happening.