New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fairy Shrimp Collecting For OVAS Members - Saturday, April 23 at 10 AM

Started by sidarnold, April 20, 2016, 10:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidarnold

Myself and Peter Lim will be visiting the forest pools at the Monoghan Forest this Saturday morning to collect fairy shrimp and April mosquito larvae. I am extending an invite to any club members to join us in the parking lot on Fallowfield Rd. that is the entrance to the forest paths. I collected both shrimp and larvae last Saturday and they were in abundance. I expect the fairy shrimp will be close to adult size (7-10 mm) by the weekend. I have been feeding both shrimp and mosquito larvae to my endlers and rainbow gudgeons for the last 5 days and they go wild when the live food is added to their tanks.

Some things to prepare for:

1) Have a 5 or 10 gallon tank ready to go if you plan on having a supply for a week or so.

2) Bring a plastic bucket (with lid and handle), rain boots and a large, goldfish-mesh dip net (standard aquarium dip nets do not do the trick, need a 20-25 cm wide net).

3) Mosquitos (bring insect repellant)

Note the attached image of the parking lot location on Fallowfield Rd. The red "P" is the entrance to the small parking lot directly across the street from farm and grain elevators on Fallowfield.

If you have any questions send me an email or post it in this thread.

Cheers

missavgp

Sounds like fun.  :) I was there last week and my Macs have been going crazy for the fairy shrimp.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

limed

It is fun, you can also find frog eggs and other little things that move.
Great learning experience for live food that you can feed your fish.

Ed

missavgp

This morning was great, lots of fairy shrimp and mosquito larvae  :P but man that water was COLD! ;D
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

limmer

Great food.  Everything eats it like no tomorrow.
I even got some Daphnia.
Nice day to be out.  No biting bugs and easy collecting.

limed

Just tried it for the first time to feed my Tetra's and cories, they when nuts over everything I gave them.
didn't take long to catch them. Very nice day and no bugs.

Ed