New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fire aquariums Knock off 60 P

Started by charlie, April 21, 2016, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

At the last plantacholic, the discussion started by me,as to why the planted tank folks do not post pictures & information of their tanks,several voices  said if i started posting they will.
So i`m starting the trend , hope those voices live up to their promise.
I picked up this tank last year at the Montreal auction from Aquasense workshop - Thanks Luke.
It ran for a year until i pulled it down this week , since i had to move the tank.
Started out like this

Then this-

Finally-

I will post some more on the new scape & hardware etc. later
I decided to re scape the tank & change the substrate to the Tropica soil, , also finally ordered the LED fixture i wanted to try for a while now - Kessil A160 WE Amazon Sun

pm

Looks (or looked?) great!

I am in the process of converting my 90cm tank to lower light/lower maintenance, and will have my 45cm tank ready soon for pics.  I will help continue the posting trend.

exv152

Great tank Errol as usual. I especially like the killi fish.

I was one of those voices that said I'd post if you did, so I'll get around to it very shortly.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

The tank is now rescaped.
Tank:60P
Filter : Eheim 2213
Lighting : Just switched to the Kessil A160 WE Tuna Sun( Verdict is still out)
Substrate:( Miixed )-ADA Amazoina  with Tropica Powerded soil  layered on the ADA soil
Hardscape :seiryu stone
Supplements- 2 stage Co2 kit. With SS in tank diffuser.
Plants: Eleocharis acicularis 'mini',Staurogyne repens,Hygrophila 'Araguaia',Ranunculus inundatus - for now may switch or remove plants as it matures.
I have not made a choice of livestock as yet.

exv152

Nice setup Errol. I'm interested in seeing how the kessil grows red pigment plants.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 26, 2016, 10:06:54 AM
Nice setup Errol. I'm interested in seeing how the kessil grows red pigment plants.
Sure will, there is a lot of forum discussion around, that suggest the Kessils are inadequate for growing red plants.
although i don`t plan on using a lot of reds in this tank , i will place a few stems of red plants to experience for myself.

aciport

I haven't had any issues with red plants with the Kessil A150 on my 60P. However, I tend to tear my tank apart every four to five months to play with different plants so I don't have long term trials.

The one problem that the A150 (that I run) is not tuneable and is actually too strong of a light for the tank. Having the A160 should eliminate that issue. I've had to play with height above the water, photoperiod, CO2, and fertilization or otherwise it will be a green mess. The other thing is that being a single point light source the growth patterns of taller stem plants will make them bend inward. Not unexpected, but can create an odd display.

charlie

Quote from: aciport on April 28, 2016, 02:50:50 PM
I haven't had any issues with red plants with the Kessil A150 on my 60P. However, I tend to tear my tank apart every four to five months to play with different plants so I don't have long term trials.

The one problem that the A150 (that I run) is not tuneable and is actually too strong of a light for the tank. Having the A160 should eliminate that issue. I've had to play with height above the water, photoperiod, CO2, and fertilization or otherwise it will be a green mess. The other thing is that being a single point light source the growth patterns of taller stem plants will make them bend inward. Not unexpected, but can create an odd display.
Thanks for chiming in Kyle. I could not understand why people were saying they have difficulty growing red plants with it, i saw many thread on various  forums when i was researching the light for the last 9 months, it did not deter me, so far loving it.

pm

Hey Errol, as someone who has grown both, do you see a difference between the Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' and hairgrass 'belem', or is it the same plant?

charlie

Quote from: pm on May 04, 2016, 12:57:16 PM
Hey Errol, as someone who has grown both, do you see a difference between the Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' and hairgrass 'belem', or is it the same plant?
In  all honesty ,I don't know.
A while back I got some from Rah which was known as belem, it grew as described, also exactly as the mini in this tank is growing, later on when moved to another tank the charteristics changed, perhaps lighting?

FishPassion

Beautiful Errol, a tank I could just sit and stare at for hours
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

charlie

Quote from: FishPassion on May 08, 2016, 02:49:40 PM
Beautiful Errol, a tank I could just sit and stare at for hours
Thanks Klaus, nice to see you around.
The tank is steadily progressing, i`ll get a picture up soon.
Errol

charlie

It`s 2 weeks since the re scape , the soil is cycled after almost 100% water changes daily for the first week & daily 50% for a few days, livestock added - for now Amano shrimp, Otto Cats & Gold Tetras also added some Hygrophila 'Araguaia',ludwigia arcuata & ludwigia sp red, these plants are just for testing & may be removed later.

Please excuse the quick phone camera pic.

exv152

Looking good Errol, I'm looking forward to how this progresses. Were you able to find any detailed information about par values or a detailed spectral chart for the kessil?

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 09, 2016, 10:21:53 AM
Looking good Errol, I'm looking forward to how this progresses. Were you able to find any detailed information about par values or a detailed spectral chart for the kessil?

Whats spectral & PAR  :P. To date i have not seen any PAR charts on the light but have seen charts on the older model Amazon Sun.
As most know i tend not to get my head wrapped around the technical specs in this hobby, as experienced has taught me it`s not an absolute requirement.
Here are 2 links of many i used to research the light.
the first one only deals with the older Amazon sun that the Tuna sun replaced & is said to be better
https://aquariumdigest.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/led-compairison-med1.jpg
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/kessil-a160we-tuna-sun.36690/

charlie

This is the tank  now.
I have switched to a DIY inline reactor and moved the Eheim skimmer to the right of the tank, I`m pretty happy about how everything turned , i`m also a Kessil fanboy  ;)

charlie

bitterman

sas

charlie