New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Stand and Sick Bettas

Started by rivermuse, May 03, 2016, 07:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rivermuse

Sorry for the odd subject, if this is not a true 911 topic, please move it or let me know I will repost.

Background: Few nights back a friend knocks on my door, with tiny 1/2 gallon plastic box in his hand. There are two Male Betta fish in it with a divider in between. Says he is going abroad for 6 months and cant take care of them any more, since I love fish.... begs me to taken them. I accept since I had no choice, he had his flight booked the next day. 

Issue 1: Both of them are not exactly in healthy condition. Both have semi clamped tail fins, one of them with some tears. I tested the water, the Ammonia and Nitrite were 1.0 ppm each. Nothing registered on Nitrate which tells me it is nowhere near cycling stage - he said he changed water every week or so.  I immediately changed water and they are doing ok for now. They are building bubbles. They are eating and responding well. I never had a betta before, if there are any tips to ensure their survival please let me know. (I have bettamix, prime, stability at home).

Issue 2: I went in and purchased a 5.5 gallon tank. Thinking of DIY divider and Sponge filter. But I have run into a problem of where to house it. A. Can a 5.5 gallon tank be put on top of a Steel office file cabinet ( 4 draw cabinet)? Im not really comfortable with it. I got this size because I really do not have the time to do 3 day water changes with the jar. Or B. Or shall I return this and buy a smaller 2.5 gallon tank that is more apt to be on top of a steel cabinet? (I live in a 2BD apartment with two toddlers so space is premium).

Issue 3: If I stick with 5.5 gallon or even a 2.5 gallon, are there any good stands that can hold a fully loaded planted 10 gallon tank and this effortlessly. I'm just very scared. Big Als is selling some but they are just "frames" there is nothing below to the hold the weight(?) is this normal? Any other ideas on where to keep a 5.5 gallon thank... man do I sound silly!

Sorry for all the rambling. I'm just confused a bit. Sometimes I wonder if I should keep them in buckets till  until I figure out. I did not plan for this situation. I had to take those fish otherwise I do not know what he would have done.

Thanks

lucius

I was at BA's east earlier today and they had a frame stand for $30.  Regular price is $50.  The paint was missing in some places and a bit wobbly but that could be from an uneven floor.

As long as the tank is supported along the bottom trim, it should be fine.

101DalmatianMollies

My 10 gallon lives ontop of a wooden night stand. It's short, sturdy, made from real wood, and handles the weight perfectly fine (at least I think it does, haven't had any issues). The 2.5 gallon lives ontop of a table that was meant for a TV. Also made from real wood, so quite sturdy.

Kijiji often has people selling their old furniture. For small tanks (ie: less than 10 gallons) I find old wooden night stands to be the best.

Good luck!