New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ideas for catching fry

Started by Jeff1192, May 05, 2016, 09:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I've had a bunch of fry living in the rock work of my cichlid tank for over a month now. I have tried using the bottle with the top cut off and reversed method to catch them but no luck. Th only other way I can think of to catch them would be to catch all the adults out and then take apart the rocks....definitely not an option. Any other ideas for catching fry?

Thanks

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Mike L

Wait until they are larger  then try the method again. Another suggestion.  Make 2 piles of rock instead. The fry will usually stay on one side. Simply divide the tank using eggcrate  then l remove the rock on the side they are on. Once done lower water in that order because the mulm can be syphoned  Pita but much easier.  Use a large plastic containers to hold rocks. You will be surprised how much mum you will get that is settled in the rock8

Jeff1192

Thanks I might just try that. Problem is theyre all hiding in the big pile of rocks of course!!! Haha

As for the mulm I routinely flush out the rockwork with a turkey baster. It's crazy how much crud comes out of there! Messy little buggers. Haha

Thanks again for the idea.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Mike L

If you have a powerhead it is far more effective.  I run one in all my tanks with a sponge attached  incredible  how much they pick up weekly.  Just detach and blast.  Seems you have a handle on things especially  since they are breeding.  Good to hear your still enjoying the cichlid experience Jeff.  Regards Mike

Jeff1192

Oh even better idea. I have a power head running all the time behind the big pile of rocks cause I was getting major build up there and couldn't vacuum back there. I'll try detaching it next time and doing that.

And yes I always have at least 2-4 females holding ALL THE TIME! Hahaha

I actually caught a fry yesterday who had moved up to the top of the rock pile so I just threw a big not over the top rock and fished him out. Still lots of fry hiding in there though.

Jeff

- George Orwell