New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hydor 25W Defective?

Started by lucius, May 16, 2016, 05:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

I bought a Hydor 25W heater for a 5 gallon tank.  I have it set to 87 degrees fahrenheit and the thermometer reads it at only 77 degrees.  Checked with a second thermometer and it's close to the first thermometer.

So do you think I have a bad heater or are Hydro thermometers really that crappy?

I'm still within my return period.

Mike L

I have had similar issues with thier heaters in the past.  I've  had to return and get a new one which is what I  would do in your case.
Mike

lucius

Yeah, I think I will.  Set it to 89 last night and it read 79 this morning.

Selenacrowe

I had a problem with those too ended up getting a Ehiem

lucius

I may need to switch brands.  The replacement I got is also off by a few degrees.  :(  I had considered the 25W Eheim but it's nine inches long, two inches longer than the Hydor.  My 5 gallon is only 10 inches high and after adding a substrate, there wouldn't be enough clearance unless I had it sticking out.  If I'm going to place the heater horizontally, I will probably go back to the 50W Aqueon pro I was using.

missavgp

I've had the opposite problem with the hydor heaters, all mine ran hot and I had to set them on 68 to get 78. I just tried the Aquatop heaters that CJ is carrying and like them. The smallest one isn't programmable, but the next size up is and has a probe to put on the opposite side of the tank to get an accurate all over heat reading.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

lucius

I saw those as well and the price was comparable.  I will wait and see what happens.  I think the Aquatop heaters are on the longer side as well.

Mike L

I think the main concern is weather the heater keeps an accurate temp.  What it says on the dial is less  important .  Back in the day heaters did not have any temp markings?  We adjusted  the dial according to what the thermometer  said. I still run a supreme heater that's 25 years old that is that way

charlie

Have the same issue with a 50 watt hydor on a 8.6 gln tank.
The knob is retarded as far back as it can go and still overheating the tank.
Regards