New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Here we go again - Cad lights 15 gallon

Started by charlie, May 27, 2016, 10:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Yesterday i got lucky, i came across an add on Kijiji for a 15 gallon Cad light( already have one up & running & like the foot print), a Eheim 2211, lily pipes & a Zoo Med 18 inch LED fixture with the asking price of 150.00 i was able to get it for   less a deal too good to pass up.
Everything is in excellent condition, so much for my lucky day  ;D
Stay tuned as i mull over where i want to go with this build, one of several thoughts is a low tech economy tank , the issue is i`m addicted to high tech tanks  :P, we will see, another thought is doing an all Tropica equipped tank, substrate,plants & fertilizers- decisions decisions ;)
I have painted the back panel with the Rust-Oleum specialty Frosted glass, semi transparent finish & needs 1 more coat.

pm

So you're the one that beat me to it   >:(

As always, I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us  :)

Mike L

Hey Errol.  Wonderful idea using frosted glass paint. How effective is it in hiding things.  I would think as lot as there is not any back light it would be good. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Mike

charlie

Quote from: pm on May 27, 2016, 11:18:01 AM
So you're the one that beat me to it   >:(

As always, I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us  :)
Oh my,  i was really lucky to be browsing when it was posted.

charlie

So after taking down the Aqua top 8.6 gallon  :(, the space in my room became available to start set up of the tank.

The Tropica soil was added

Hardscpe :

Awaiting plants, will be using  Tropica 1-2-GROW -Elatine hydropiper, which has just been released by Tropica & maybe some Blyxa Japonica.
Will update when planting commences.
Regards

pm

I love the back light.  As I see the pictures progress, in my head I hear the theme to 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I am waiting for a monkey to hit one of the stones with a bone   :P

George2

Quote from: charlie on May 27, 2016, 10:56:02 AM
I have painted the back panel with the Rust-Oleum specialty Frosted glass, semi transparent finish & needs 1 more coat.

I did not realize you can get a frost coating spray. Is it removable? How does it compare to using a window privacy film?

charlie

Quote from: George2 on June 09, 2016, 11:03:05 PM
I did not realize you can get a frost coating spray. Is it removable? How does it compare to using a window privacy film?

The frosted glass spray is a lot more translucent than the privacy film , the downside is it is not as uniformed as the film perhaps it`s my ability.
As a side note , after doing this , i discovered Home Depot is now carrying a static cling frosted film, this would have been my choice.

charlie

Latest up date:
Tank is all prepped & waiting to accept some plants to call it own.
Lighting  - 2 x Chichors  "A" series LED FixturesFilter - Eheim eco 2234 - VIV glass lily pipe set
Skimmer - Eheim 350 skimmer
Heater - Hydor 200 ETH external heater
CO2 - built by me 2 - stage regulator, SS in tank diffuser
Substrate Tropica planted soil.
Plants  will be_ Tropica 1 2 grow Eltine Hydropiper  141 TC,Tropica Echinodorus tenellus  067 & Tropica 1 2 grow Rotala 'Bonsai'  033E TC.

Regards

daworldisblack

looking sexy! I'm sure it'll look great all dressed up! Excited for the hydropiper
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on June 19, 2016, 03:48:25 PM
looking sexy! I'm sure it'll look great all dressed up! Excited for the hydropiper
Ha ha, looking forward to dressing it up.
I know 3  new star fire tanks are now in Ottawa, so i`m looking forward to enjoying them here :P

pm

Quote from: charlie on June 19, 2016, 04:22:50 PM
I know 3  new star fire tanks are now in Ottawa, so i`m looking forward to enjoying them here :P

4... got myself a 60p and will be setting it up once I get my light (also an A-Series).  I only will have one, not two lights like yours... hope one will cut it.

charlie

Sharbuckle

sas

daworldisblack

As usual - stunning job Errol! How you liking E. Hydropiper compared to the Monte Carlo?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Jeff1192

17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Thanks guys.
It's still has more to fill in, getting to this stage did not come without failure.
The first 3 pots of the H/Piper I planted, opted to go the dry start approach due to all the hype about the plant been difficult to get going, this approach was a complete failure for me, as it browned out & melted.
I was determine to succeed with this plant, so I got 2 more pots & this time I went with the more conventional approach  (plant it in a flooded tank) so far so good.
@ daworldisblack , It's  too early to make a call between the 2.

Thanks all

wolfiewill

Very nice. I'm going to invite myself over once it's filled in. The hydropyper I got (purloined I must say), seemed to disappear after planting, probably down an SAE's throat I suspect. I had trouble growing it emersed as well.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on September 30, 2016, 03:30:39 PM
Very nice. I'm going to invite myself over once it's filled in. The hydropyper I got (purloined I must say), seemed to disappear after planting, probably down an SAE's throat I suspect. I had trouble growing it emersed as well.
Anytime Greg  😉